Steves Leds

Just a question for those who have upgraded their tanks using Steve's. I bought their oceanic biocube 14 upgrade and besides horrible instructions, I finally made it far enough to just have to connect the driver using this thick white cord with 4 different colored wires. It connects to the controller. One end is supposed to have a 4 pin attachment, but the cord they sent does not. On their site it says it is 15 dollars, but did those who paid for the typhon controller receive the wire with the pin attachment or did you have to order separately?

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Never heard of em before your post, but checked out the site now Im interested to see yours hooked up with pics. Patiently (not) waiting :).

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet! Im excited for you. Im thinking about getting that led demo they have for my current 135 even though it would be way overkill and I dont need it at all, just in case I ever decide to switch to a reef. Again need to see yours in action though and see if you like it if it grows corals and what the colors and polyp extensions are like ect.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used them in the past, I believe you're going to need the cord with the 4 pin attachment to get the typhon to work. If i remember correctly, mine came with the typhon connector wired in the middle of the white cord.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I think I had to ask for it to be wired that way. You could still wire the lights to the potentiometers and run them off of a timer.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, there is a ton of info over at reefsanctuary - they've got a large Steves following there for their RSM tanks.

Install tips and par readings. Helped a ton when I was putting them together.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet thanks even if it wasn't meant for me.

Yeah I have the potentionmeters set up, but I paid for the controller so I really wanted them to at least send me the right parts.. I'll check it out though, thanks!

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow bummer so they sent you the part with no way to hook it up? Thats lame, he goes on and on about cost and your getting better leds for less money better heat sinks for less money blah blah but by the time you buy all the parts you need to make it work its more money, lol.

Exactly. He says that there was an option to have the correct cord, but I don't remember seeing it. And then for 5-7 shipping cost was 4 dollars, so I went with 3-5 days for 6 dollars. Hopefully it gets here soon. My poor fishies have been without light for at least 2 weeks now..

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why would there be an option without the correct cord is my question lol. Good thing the fishes don't require much if any in the way of light, house lights are probably fine, but corals and such is another story. Not sure how big your tank is or if its worth it to you but I have a light you can borrow till they get here if you want?

Last edited by a moderator:

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I was just messing around on their site. It seems very confusing, you pick your light and then there's like 15 drop down boxes with 5 options in each (maybe a slight exaggeration) lol.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah no problem just let me know. Its just a 36 n coral life HO PC 2 bulb but is has nice color and better than no light :)

Yeah so I was looking just now and the thing is, is that I don't need a laser enclosure. So there should be an option for it without the enclosure. 46 dollars versus 106 is a lot. Also on another note the instructions are very difficult to follow, and don't say much when it comes to installing the driver. If you look under drivers, you don't even see the one shipped to me unless you go under the controller section. Installing the controller has more information about installing the driver than the manual has