Sticks and Stone 180 BUILD

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive been wanting to upgrade my Aquarium since i purchased a new house last year and last week i finally got that chance. I picked up a 180G used aquarium with flawless glass not a since scratch.
So this Tank build will be me Putting this tank together From Custom Stand and Canopy to finally putting some sticks into the tank. As far as equipment goes i already picked up a 40g aquarium from petco dollar a gallon sale for the sump. And during blackfriday sale on bulkreefsuppy i ordered me a Skimz Monzter SM252 DC Protein Skimmer. As far as lighting does i was thinking metal haildes or LED.

As far as the stand goes ive always hated how low the aquarium stands that are available through today's market. So this stand is going to be 43" tall with no front supports and will be built out of wood. [h=3][/h]

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
PS i started this build yesterday and got the stand built up and did a water fill test to see if the non supported front will bow under the weight. I did not, not even a 1/64th

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
After the Fill test and letting it sit for 24 hours. I decided to do a Red Oak Hardwood plywood shell. I wanted to do a walnut but the cost of walnut plywood is crazy so i will stain the oak to look like walnut.

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
As far for doors ive always hated the doors on the stand getting in the way. From adjusting the skimmer to just checking it out. My first reason why i wanted there not to be any support beams in the way in the front. But since i have a 1 yr old girl i will make some custom doors that wont have any hinges and will be fully removable. How will i do that you say? Im not going to tell!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, very nice so far! It would have taken me a week to build that stand and it still wouldn't have looked as nice. Following along for sure.

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
3 of the doors have a little lip. I did it this was so you can remove any 1 door. I like having options. Ill keep posting picks. I still have a couple of surprises to come with the canopy that i haven't shown yet. Still waiting on parts to show up

MTMJR1992

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
March 3, 2016 update
Stand Built- Check
Move tank inside- Check
Reinforce floor joist- Check
Aqua scape- Check
Plumbing-Check
Add Water-Check

Not we wait