Suggestions high light high flow

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a high spot in my rock work that has been difficult to place corals on. I tried a chalice and it seemed good for a couple of weeks then bleached out on me. I've tried zoas and they survive, but colors look terrible. I have a green slimer just below this particular rock and it is doing great. My competition grow out coral (acro of some kind) was there for weeks, then partially bleached out. The spot is directly under my Hydra52 LED's and right in the stream of the Maxspect XF-150 gyre. It's the highest flow, highest light area in my tank....also seems like a prominent display point so I'd like to have something awesome right there.

Suggestions?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chalices are not hight light high flow. They are low to medium light and lower flow. red planet or a millie of some kind would be a good option.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The whites max out at 56%, my concern with dimming the whites was getting enough light to the sand bed.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I suppose I was speaking generally to the lower 1/3 of the aquarium. But now that I look at it 75% of my corals are down low in that 1/3...so maybe the whites are just too strong. Maybe I'll start to slowly back it off....

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
+1 to millis, they love high flow high light spots and also agree, to try and turn down the whites a bit

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I put the light on coral acclimation mode, reduced all colors by 35% for a couple of weeks. I just added some new stuff, so I might try something in the "burn zone" and see if it helps. But I'll slowly move the corals higher in the tank...