Sunburst vs rbta

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just curious how do to tell the deference?

I several nems in my tank which I bought as rbtas. Lately several people have seen my tank and though they were sunburst. What is the difference?? Why is the sunburst so much more expensive and what's the benefit of them??

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow how could someone who actually knows what a sunburst should look like mistake one for an RBTA. I mean they are both beautiful in there own right but they really don't look much alike at at all. I have both Ill see if I can get some good pics to show the main differences.

rainbow pic

Rainbow RBTA, its neony pink, neon green at base and has speckles. Sunbursts are different cause there yellow, magical and clean your tank as you sleep, or so I hear. RBTAs change in general with different lights and conditions, mine always get really bright but 50%50% on the bubbling thing.

[attachment=66225:name]

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
PM me your number and I can text you a side by side with a large RBTA/GBTA/Sunburst all next to each other. (Actually look at my forum posts and it's in my build thread or sale threads.)

Sunburst much more golden orange/yellow (vs bright pure yellow of a lemondrop). I'd say the sunburst also looking up close when it's open has this kinda galaxy/starlike field to it's face.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It makes it harder that I have seen hobbyists selling sunbursts on this forum that are really rainbows that were sold to them as starbursts... just confuses more people down the line.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a rbta, rainbow and sunburst all next to each other in my tank. You are more than welcome to stop by and check it out.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely, but I true Colorado sunburst is unmistakable under any lighting. If in doubt, it's a rose morph.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?17160-FS-Sunburst-amp-RBTA-Anemones
These being sold by ShelbyJK500 are sunburst. However I don't see the yellow tips in any of the pictures. (they look just like mine atleast from the pictures)

Everyone keeps saying if they don't have yellow tips they are not sunburst.

However I also spoke with Kai(i think that is how you spell his name) from Keys Island and showed him pictures of mine and mentioned that it didn't have the yellow tips and he said mine is a sunburst and that it depends on the lighting and they can morph some.

Also saw some recently at Aquatic art that he called sunburst and he said they had been in a tank with bad lighting and at first glance I thought they were Greenish BTA's...super light green but greenish non the less.

then the ones currently at aqua mart on the big rock look almost all yellow to me.

So i guess to a trained eye maybe they are unmistakable, but to a novice like me it is a lot more confusing.

mikejrice;296243 said:
Definitely, but I true Colorado sunburst is unmistakable under any lighting. If in doubt, it's a rose morph.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I bought a raindow nem from aquamart this week, and it does look very close to a sunburst. Has that same star field appearance around the oral disk and base of the tentacles, but it is lacking the yellow tips

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one from Shelby... and under HQI and Radium lighting I can unequivocally say that it is not a sunburst. I just consider it a really nice rainbow and am happy with it nonetheless.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If its not a Sunburst, then it shouldn't be sold as one.

I'm kinda tired of the Colorado Sunbursts discussion, it's like its a taboo discussion. Can we settle once and for all which is or isn't?

I see two conflicting posts with regard to Shelby's nems, are they or aren't they Sunbursts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;296273 said:
If its not a Sunburst, then it shouldn't be sold as one.

I'm kinda tired of the Colorado Sunbursts discussion, it's like its a taboo discussion. Can we settle once and for all which is or isn't?

I see two conflicting posts with regard to Shelby's nems, are they or aren't they Sunbursts?
I do think that if anyone in the state should know who has the sunburst, the people on this forum should know.

For starters Shelby's...he posts them on this forum. If they are posted on here and the old schoolers on this forum say nothing then i'll assume they are them and so will other "newbies". (not saying his are not, I don't know any better)
I have met shelby, he was a nice person - sold me my first nuvo 16 a year ago and hooked me up with all the rock and water I needed to get the tank started (almost had no cycle with his established rock)

Also, the dude that recently had a craigslist posting on them out in east parker (that is where I picked mine up from). He was only selling them for 150 as sunburst, but they look exactly like Shelby's and he is currently selling his for 200. The story I got from him (His name was Sean) was that he purchased his original around 4 years ago from Aqua Mart and it had split tons of times and he had sold tons of them. (I don't htink he was lying about it, I honstely believe he thinks he has Sunburst - once again not saying he doesn't but I honstly don't know)

Either way If it is a sunburst I got from him it was an ok price for a nice anemone. Or it is an amazing price for a sunburst...I'm still trying to figure that out.

My point is that I'm sure others have gone out and seen what he had and said yes it was or no it isn't one. I am pretty sure I even saw it on craigslist deal of the day...shouldn't the folks that know better just straight up say hey fyi saw this on craigs and it isn't a "name whatever not just about sunburst" I'd be careful... Just to protect each other?

I dunno, just as a member of this formum if I find out something sketchy I'll do my best to give a heads up so that people don't get hosed on something.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can say that the nems being sold as sun bursts are not even close. They can be called a lemon drop at best. What I didn't get was they had the large rock with the nems labeled as sun burst and then a smaller Nem in the flat labeled as a lemon drop. They were all yellow and a light yellow at that. Once you have seen a true Colorado sunburst you will have no issue spotting one in the future.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think there's a lot of back alley discussions, and people choose to say nothing. I can see not wanting to call someone out, but I honestly think it hurts our members when someone is marketing something that someone "knows" is false. I bought one from Shelby, a year ago, as a Sunburst. Is it one, I'm not sure? I've seen other images that are over processed, which makes it tough to tell.

I don't care about stepping on toes.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Im still waiting on a picture with all three nems in the same tank under the same lighting.

I dont own any nems as of now but I have seen several, several Reds, Rainbows and Sunbursts and I must say unless you have seen a true sunburst up close and personal from a reliable source (for instance go to Keys Island he has one in his display tank at front door) a rainbow nem can look exactly what you would envision a sunburst to look like after you have looked at pics. I also know that lighting can make sunbursts look very different along with the picture/camera taking the picture too. So...what does this all mean, why am I chiming in?????

LOL who knows but if I was going to spend several hundred dollars on what I wanted to be an actual Sunburst Anemone, I would buy it from someone who can be trusted and held accountable for accuracy and the sale. This would mean buy from a vendor who is known for selling Sunbursts, a well known fellow reefer who bought one from a known sunbursts vendor, someone who will stand behind the sale if proven otherwise and or will guarantee the accuracy and legitimacy of labeling it a sunburst, that it isnt a fresh chopped up nem and is legitimate super healthy new that you can see in a tank OPEN with your own two eyes not a bag. What I mean by this is you wont see Gonzo or Ki whom both are well known for selling sunbursts (just examples as I know Elite, Aqua Mart and Aquatic Art sell sunbursts), passing off rainbows for sunbursts.

Final conclusion: If you think you are buying a Ferrari for a smoking deal (the cost of a corvette)........there might be a reason why. If you have any reason to believe it might not be what is being advertised, well then ask for some more info, post up a picture for the club to weigh in on, send a picture to a know vendor and ask them.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are a lot of nems that look similar to a sunburst. Here is an example of a look alike but a bit different.

This is a tequila sunrise which is similar but definitely not the same. This is the most often coloration that I have seen being called a sunburst.
I personally have seen only ONE true colorado sunburst. The rest have been rainbows and other variations. As Chad said Ferrari at the price of a Corvette something is wrong.