Super Wide Angle HDR Pics

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I picked up a super wide angle Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS lense for my full frame 6D. I mostly bought it for landscapes but am finding I will probably like it better for architectural photos. I got up before sunrise this morning to give the new lens a spin. There are a couple old structures in Broomfield right on 120th that are pretty cool. I drive by them everyday on the way to work and have been wanting to shoot them for awhile.

I also decided to shoot in HDR. For those who are unfamiliar with HDR, it stands for High Dynamic Range and is the process of taking several shots of the same image at different bracketed exposures then for lack of a better description combining the best parts of all of those images into a single image. Most of these shots are 3-7 exposures combined into one.

Many of these were taken as long exposures (4-30 seconds) on a tripod using AEB (auto exposure bracketing). I really wish there was some clouds in the sky this morning. I think it would have made for even more dramatic shots.

Some people dont like HDR but I think its really cool. Sure its not entirely realistic but that's what I like about it. I like the surreal colors and gritty textures that almost have a dream like effect.

This lens is awesome, in many of these pics Im not standing more than 5 feet away from the building and still able to get the whole thing in frame and then some.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;366995 said:
WOW!!! I love those pics!
Thanks Cindy! I was pretty happy with the turn out considering I mostly just practiced with this lens in my living room and Rachel's Studio prior to this. Im pretty excited about this lens camera combo. Cant wait still spring!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Soooo jelly. I had to forego getting Lightroom and one of those fancy flash rings in favor of getting emergency dental work done instead. I may have to add this lens to my list of stuff I want. Maybe even before I get the flash ring. I want to be able to get good landscape shots and such, before I go down the macro road.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;366997 said:
Soooo jelly. I had to forego getting Lightroom and one of those fancy flash rings in favor of getting emergency dental work done instead. I may have to add this lens to my list of stuff I want. Maybe even before I get the flash ring. I want to be able to get good landscape shots and such, before I go down the macro road.

Whaa? What did you do?

im guessing you'd have more fun with a lens like this, but I'm thinking this might be too wide for landscapes. In some cases it will be good when you have a lot going on in the foeground but otherwise it can have the tendency to just make amazing mountains in the distance just look small. I don't know I'll have to experiment some more before I know for sure.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;366999 said:
Whaa? What did you do?

im guessing you'd have more fun with a lens like this, but I'm thinking this might be too wide for landscapes. In some cases it will be good when you have a lot going on in the foeground but otherwise it can have the tendency to just make amazing mountains in the distance just look small. I don't know I'll have to experiment some more before I know for sure.
Yeah, I had to have an unexpected root canal on a tooth that had a crown on it because the crown wasn't fitted properly when it was originally installed (almost 10 yrs ago, I think). I was mighty impressed with the technology the Mexican dentist had (best I've ever seen), and the price was less than half what I'd have paid up there. But... it means no photography spending.

I could really see me getting some cool shots with that lens.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you like those kinds of shots, your brain would explode with the excitement of using a tilt shift. The 14MM F2.8 is quite fun.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Love the lighting values in these. Use HDR image some in my 3d scenes, and my wife uses them quite a bit in architectural vis work.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;367018 said:
If you like those kinds of shots, your brain would explode with the excitement of using a tilt shift. The 14MM F2.8 is quite fun.
Oh yeah! I've been eyeing canons 14mm tilt shift. That a pricey piece of glass. I'd like to have one some day but there are other lenses I want first. I still need a nice telephoto and would like to get the 5:1 65mm macro as well as a 180mm macro.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I am still pretty new here and haven't made it to a meeting yet.

Has the group ever hosted a photography session for a meeting? I'd love to learn more about setting white balance and other settings to get better reef photos. Looks like we have some pros around here with the incredible images I've been seeing. I have a DSLR and almost no clue how to use it without auto settings.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;367019 said:
Love the lighting values in these. Use HDR image some in my 3d scenes, and my wife uses them quite a bit in architectural vis work.
Thanks! That must be great to work in a field like that. I wish I could do something like.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;367043 said:
I am still pretty new here and haven't made it to a meeting yet.

Has the group ever hosted a photography session for a meeting? I'd love to learn more about setting white balance and other settings to get better reef photos. Looks like we have some pros around here with the incredible images I've been seeing. I have a DSLR and almost no clue how to use it without auto settings.
I'm not sure. I don't think so since I've been a member. I think Ummm Fish that kind started the photography forum here a long time ago might have but even so that was a long long time ago. Would be fun though!

actually what would be really fun is to have a meet where anyone new to photography could learn a little bit about some of the other modes on their cameras and a few basic tips to get started then we all go somewhere for a couple hours or whatever so they can practice what they just learned and can ask questions while they are taking pictures. There are several good places depending on the time of year. There are hikes, the denver aquarium (good for practicing WB), the butterfly pavillion good for practicing macro, or the botanical gardens. Then of course maybe if there is a sponsor here with a show tank or a member that's willing to host we could practice tank shots. Just an idea.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I sat in on a reef meeting like that hosted at a local shop in Seattle back when I lived there. I didn't have my camera yet, so I didn't get as much out of it. But, practicing on a display is a big help. My display is dry and won't be interesting for a while. :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Walter White;367055 said:
Thanks! That must be great to work in a field like that. I wish I could do something like.
It is fun, although now days I do it as freelance/hobby. Both my wife and I worked for many years in the 3d field. She worked in the architecture field and I worked in games/media, but the artist life is not an easy one which is why I now work in website/software dev instead
Either way, both of us have used hdr images a lot in our past works. They are one of the best and easiest ways to add lighting values to a 3d scene and makes it possible to eliminate many of the actual lights in a scene making the images faster to render. Real time savers and have a range of potential uses :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Walter White;367057 said:
I'm not sure. I don't think so since I've been a member. I think Ummm Fish that kind started the photography forum here a long time ago might have but even so that was a long long time ago. Would be fun though!

actually what would be really fun is to have a meet where anyone new to photography could learn a little bit about some of the other modes on their cameras and a few basic tips to get started then we all go somewhere for a couple hours or whatever so they can practice what they just learned and can ask questions while they are taking pictures. There are several good places depending on the time of year. There are hikes, the denver aquarium (good for practicing WB), the butterfly pavillion good for practicing macro, or the botanical gardens. Then of course maybe if there is a sponsor here with a show tank or a member that's willing to host we could practice tank shots. Just an idea.
I was thinking of setting something like this up, a mini meeting of sorts, but have been swamped lately and haven't had a chance to yet.

We have discussed having photo meetings in the past but there is a few issues with having a full blown meeting like that, and I think one of the biggest hurdled is getting an expert in photography to come and teach/demo for free or a small fee. Most experts that can do it, that we have talked with so far, want a lot of money to come to your site and do that sort of thing. They can do cheaper group sessions if you come to them but then we need to bring a reef tank or two to photograph. There are a few other challenges with this too.

But honestly the best solution I think is for anyone that is interested in photo to go take those basic classes on their own and then we can all go practice in various places together as you suggest