Switched salt... Parameter swings

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Calcium is in the 500s after switching from Salinity to Tropic Marine Pro Reef. Didn't think my Params would swing that much. Some of my sps are ****ed and I am wondering what to do? Is that gonna cause problems being so high?7 I am aiming for around 430. my alk is around 7.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Test your calcium when you mix up a new batch. Do you dose calc? Water changes is really your only option at this point

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
and theres nothing wrong with calc being high like that... ive always ran mine in the 550 mark. as long as alk is within the triangle with calc, youre fine. you may have a coraline algae breakout though lol...enjoy the scraping!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been at 500 before when I dial my reactor up for the growing corals. ...sometimes I go has high as 550, then it lowers to 425, or so as the corals grow.

There is something else that ****ed your corals off. Did you mix it up long enough? Was the temp OK? How do you dose?

How much water did you change? If you were at 425 and you are at 550 now, you would have had to changed 50% water with calcium at 675 to get up that high.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;239518 said:
Test your calcium when you mix up a new batch. Do you dose calc? Water changes is really your only option at this point
I don't dose calcium. Its the new salt mix that is riddled with it.
jda123;239592 said:
I have been at 500 before when I dial my reactor up for the growing corals. ...sometimes I go has high as 550, then it lowers to 425, or so as the corals grow.

There is something else that ****ed your corals off. Did you mix it up long enough? Was the temp OK? How do you dose?

How much water did you change? If you were at 425 and you are at 550 now, you would have had to changed 50% water with calcium at 675 to get up that high.
I dose alk with a bubble magus dosing pump. I don't dose calcium. I always do a %20 water change.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Switched salt... Parameter swings

crustytheclown;240115 said:
I don't dose calcium. Its the new salt mix that is riddled with it.
Did you roll the bucket at all to mix the salt before using it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2