1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Synden's build-off competition entry

Discussion in 'Competition Entries' started by SynDen, Apr 20, 2019.

1. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Still havent decided. Might just leave it clear but will have to see whats in the scrap pile at plasticare. Putting the acrylic over it would give me a way to make a proper weir for the inlet

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Alright all done. Just gotta let it sit and cure, then I'll do a quick leak test and it should be ready to go
    1555947542196.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  3. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Will you have it sit on a mat, or do you need to build some kind of frame for it?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

4. SynDen

Its a scrap foam board under it now, but thinking to cut a small board to fit under it too, will have to see what I can dig up from my scrap pile. Otherwise will remain frame less

5. SynDen

It's wet!!!
    AngelbuildGetwet.gif

That particular piece of rock I have had for years, and its been in the curing tank for about 2 years now. Traded a couple frags of coral for it sometime back. Hadn't quite figured out how I would incorporate into the big build so didnt know what I was going to do with it. Well wouldn't you know it, it happens to be a perfect fit for this tank.

IMG_20190505_132949.jpg

For the return, I bought 2 1/2" sprinkler elbows and used those with some left over half inch tubing I had laying around. Makes a decent return line for the maxijet.

IMG_20190505_130826.jpg

While its cycling, I need to figure out a screen top of some sort.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  6. SynDen

All cleared up and looking good. Now comes the waiting.
    In the meantime I need to get a screen top made, and need to get a black piece of acrylic I can put in the filter section to hide the media once I put it in.
    Still trying to decide on fish, but thinking a small clown and a hector or rainsford goby. 1557158189686.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

7. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

What corals are you planning on growing?

8. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

I really like that branch. It fits perfectly in that tank!

9. SynDen

Mostly shrooms, maybe a few other softies, and possibly a bta of some sort.
    Thanks. Ya, I was very happy with how well it fit, and looked. Really made the aquascaping part very easy this time lol. Was planning to spend a fair amount of time going through rock, and finding the right pieces for the aquascape, but luckily the branch was on top of the rock pile in the curing tank, so I tried it first.

kchristensen8064 likes this.
  10. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks great!

SynDen likes this.
  11. SynDen

Thanks. Looking forward to getting some life in it and watching it grow.

12. SynDen

Well ammonia is at .15, so cycle well under way

13. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Did you pee in it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  14. SynDen

haha no, I prolly should have, but I just ghost fed it a bit

15. SynDen

All right ammonia to zero, Nitrates at 10 currently. Starting to get some algae, so about time to add the first snails and a fish soon.

16. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Let’s do this!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

SynDen likes this.
  17. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

18. SynDen

Well Nitrates down to around 2, so progressing well. Brown algae now growing fairly well, so I added 2 snails to the tank, a margarita and a trocus, They have been keeping the algae under control so far.
    I also added in the filter media. Hard to see in the picture, but nothing special just some live rock rubble in mid chamber and a ceramic media, with a small bag of charcoal in the last section and directly over the return.
    I'll likely put the first test coral in this week, and hopefully a fish too.
    Also switched up the light a bit. Just traded @JuanGutz my H160 for his A160.
    Still need to make some sort of top before I put any fish though. Since I am unemployed currently, Ill likely just make a temporary one from stuff I have around here for now, and Ill make a nicer one later when I have a job.

IMG_20190519_113720.jpg
    IMG_20190519_113654.jpg
    IMG_20190519_113645.jpg

neil82 and Cake_Boss like this.