1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Synden's build-off competition entry

Discussion in 'Competition Entries' started by SynDen, Apr 20, 2019.

1. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Well the goby has been settling in nicely. Pretty fun to watch those two. Been getting a bit of diatoms in the tank, but nothing major, should go away soon and likely give way to cyano.
    I added an airstone under the sponge, although I realize now that I made the first baffle wrong, and it should have been higher so water flowed under it instead of over it. Cant fix it now, but with the sponge and added airstone it still flows through it fairly well, so it will work anyway I think
    First mushroom had been doing pretty good so I added a few more mushroom, and I started on the top screen for the tank. Got the wrong size for the screening spline, so will have to finish the top tomorrow. I also added another maxijet just to add some flow, and turbulence.
    IMG_20190601_151237.jpg IMG_20190601_151202.jpg IMG_20190601_151041.jpg IMG_20190601_150947.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    neil82 and Cake_Boss like this.
  2. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Where did you get the clear netting?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

3. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

In the first post I think it said from BRS

Cake_Boss likes this.
  4. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Cake_Boss likes this.
  5. SynDen

All installed, and looks good. I opt'ed to let it rest on the top of the tank instead of putting tabs around the edges so it could rest inside the rim.
    I also added an encrusting gorgonian to the tank
    IMG_20190603_134750.jpg

6. JuanGutz

Looks good!

7. SynDen

Not much to report this week.
    Tested the water today and did a 50% water change. Diatoms have mostly finished, and starting to get a bit of hair, and film algae now, seems to have skipped the cyano stage, but will see. Coraline starting to showup and grow too.
    Pods are going strong and can be seen covering the glass. Highfin and pistol shrimp doing good too. Both eating well and hi-fin is finally getting used to feeding times and slowly becoming less skittish.
    Prior to water change the numbers breakdown like this
    Ph - 7.7
    Phos - .03
    NO3 - 0.2 (almost undetectable)
    Alk - 7.1
    CA - 400
    MG - 1335
    salinity - 1.025
    temp - 77

Will be looking to add the next fish in the next few weeks. Still undecided between a rainsford goby or maybe 2 exquisite firefish. Will have to decide sometime soon but no rush. Will start adding a few more corals in the next few weeks too. Likely some lps, maybe a few zoas, and some leather.

IMG_20190609_174709.jpg

8. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod

posting numbers BEFORE water change... serious "human points" appreciate the honesty. I will not say aloud that I used to take my water to get tested after a WC, petty I know....

SynDen likes this.
  9. SynDen

Came down this morning and turned on the light to find the tank all cloudy. At first I was worried it might have gotten some bacterial bloom, but upon further inspection, it appears that my margarita snails decided to spawn. Two of them were up in the corner spewing their spawn into the tank.
    Not much else has happened with the tank. I did add one nassurius snail to help with food cleanup but otherwise just waiting a bit to add anything else. Goby and shrimp doing great, and all the corals are alive, although a few don't seem very happy. So just gonna let the tank establish a bit more before I add any other 1561301622040.jpg 1561301646156.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

neil82 and kchristensen8064 like this.
  10. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I love the white and yellow Yumas. If they are not Yumas, then I love them still.

SynDen likes this.
  11. SynDen

Thanks, hoping they all grow out well
    Been pretty much leaving the tank alone, lately. Did a water change last week but didn't test anything.
    Goby still doing good and adjusting to feeding 1-2 times a day.
    So time for some additions
    Found a nice combo rock at AA today and it will nicely in here. More pics to follow
    1562352233525.jpg

12. SynDen

jda123 and kchristensen8064 like this.
  13. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I was at AA today too! Got more fish for my build off.

SynDen likes this.
  14. SynDen

Added another rock, rastas and bambams, I got from a member for $50
    I'll likely re arrange and re scape it a bit for these two rock, but leave for now.
    Gonna let the tank settle for a bit before I add anything else, but want some more fish soon, so I can get them in qt and ready for the tank while I wait 1562628090389.jpg 1562628108564.jpg 1562628123706.jpg

JuanGutz, Cake_Boss and scmountain like this.
  15. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod

$50?!?! great pick up!

16. SynDen

Setting up a make shift Qt. Didn't want to use the 40g qt for one small fish so a 5g bucket it is.
    Ordered a rainford goby, which should be in this week.
    Tank its self doing real well. Starting to see some growth and everything is coloring up nicely. Even the faded ones are starting to show much better color.
    I did add a purple cabbage leather and a devil's hand that I got at the dbtc meeting. Will charge myself $10 for each of those
    Did a 50% water change this last weekend. Have a small amount of algae growing, and a few apstasia, but nothing out of control yet.
    1563921724528.jpeg 1563921901911.jpeg 1563921920159.jpeg 1563921945452.jpeg

JuanGutz and Cake_Boss like this.
  17. SynDen

A little video I shot of the feather dusters that are cover my sand bed.
    These guy came in on some live rock I started the tank with, and they have taken off from there. They all have long flexible tubes that almost look like rubber. Pretty neat to watch them waving around in the current, and they are super sensitive to light changes. They all close up at the same time if the light changes in any way

Instagram Link

scmountain and JuanGutz like this.
  18. JuanGutz

I like those neon green mushrooms

19. scmountain

scmountain Amphipod

I am super jealous, I am a big fan of dusters but can only grow the dark purple ones! (aptasia lol)

SynDen likes this.
  20. SynDen

Thanks, I'm liking them too. They are very bright. hoping they open up more eventually
    Ya, they are pretty kewl. Got a few aptasia too though, gonna have break out the lemon juice for them this weekend I think

Did a 5g water change this weekend and tank is still looking pretty good. Had bought a Rainford goby from 5280 but sadly it did not make it through QT :( Will likely try something else here in the near future then.