Syn's 850g.t.v Deep Brain system

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya its been a crazy amount of work, but well worth it to me I think :) looking forward to getting plumbing and stuff started for the sump and fuge. Started looking for people to build this crazy tank too, although the first few I have called have shied away from this tank shape due to the precision needed for the front edge cuts, but I will find someone to build it or find a way to build it myself. Think I have to switch to acrylic instead of glass though and still might need to build in place but the ball is rolling and we shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Been awhile since I updated this, but things are still progressing. Decided to go with acrylic for the tank and it was just easier to manage then a glass tank this size/shape. After getting a few quotes from various builders I decided to order the tank through Aquatic Art. I finalized the tank designs this weekend and now the order is submitted. Just got work through the remaining details with AA and it then wait for it to arrive at my house :) :stoked:

So far I have;
-Finished the tank Design
-Finished the main rock sculpture pieces and they are now soaking in freshwater to leech.
-Switched out the 150g rubbermaid sump, with a 210g glass tank.
-Built a rolling countertop, drawer cabinet for next to the sump.
-Installed a utility sink with sump pump
-Laid out the start of the plumbing
-Built the refugium and QT tank stand

To do Next:
- Drill the 210g
- re-drill the inlet on the fuge tank
- build the support frame/stand for the main tank. Debating on using lumber or having a steel frame built.
- Get Sump dividers cut and installed
- Build the air exchange housing that will fit over the sump.

Havent had time to DL all the pics I have taken of the progress, but ill try to get to that later. Here are the final designs for the sump and tank

Sump flow and baffle design with large slow flow cryptic sump:

Plumbing plan

Closed loop with ocean motion

Since I am not using a skimmer and the tank is in the basement I need a way to handle gas exchange. So I came up with a hood design that wil be attached to dry vent tubes, 6 and 4inch, with fans directing air flow. Brings in fresh air from outside and pushes evap and co2 out.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Progress being made :)

Stand almost done. Needs plywood tops, which hopefully I will be doing this weekend. Just have to figure out how to haul 8 sheet of plywood. Either rent a truck, strap to the top of my Subaru or get them delivered. But here is the stand in its current state.

Also had acquired this MH light, through MASC and Great White, but it was to long at 72" and had 2 - 70w lights in it that I didnt want. So I modded the light and cut it down to a 58" long and removed the 2 70w. So now its 3 150w MH, which should now be perfect over my display refugium. Was fairly proud of myself in this mod too as you cant even tell that I did, and it looks store bought. Now to make a pulley system for it so I can raise and lower t easily.

And last but certainly not least. The tank construction is under way. In the end I decided not to build this one myself. Cris at AA help me arrange to have Tom at ADHI build it for me, to my specification. This is the first progress shot of it being built.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
High Plains Reefer;653734 said:
I can help with the plywood if you want just text me
Take Ken up on this, I don't want to be driving behind you with 8 sheets of plywood on your Subaru!
Great progress. Is the tank being built onsite?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
High Plains Reefer;n653734 said:
I can help with the plywood if you want just text me
Ken always my hero!!! Will do, thanks.

SkyShark;n653736 said:
Take Ken up on this, I don't want to be driving behind you with 8 sheets of plywood on your Subaru!
Great progress. Is the tank being built onsite?
haha ya I think I'd rent a truck before I'd try tieing it to by Subaru, although I have tied many thing to the top of that car
No, the tank is being built at Tom's shop. Fortunately though the wall that I was worried about getting around is going to be taken out and moved back about a foot in a few week because we are starting a remodel on my kitchen and bath on Tuesday.
Although hoping to get it in while the wall is knocked out, but even if it's not ready in time, I will still be able to get it in

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
More progress, partly thanks to Ken's haul'n beast of thunder Thanks for the assist!
But got most of the stand dry fitted together with the plywood. I'm wait for new pads to come in for my sander, so I can sand it down and get it painted. Hopefully those will be in next weekend.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wholly cow, just read through the entire thread, what a killer build! Cant wait to see the tank in place and full of livestock

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So I finally sat down and did my geometry math to figure out the exact volume of the main tank. Up till now I had only really guessed, and I wasn't even remotely close lol. Well I was within 150g of the actual volume, but the exact volume of the tank looks like its at 637g. Add in the 210g sump and the 85g fuge, plus a small frag tank and we have a total volume of about 850g. So I had to revise the title of the thread to reflect the correct total volume lol this thing keep getting bigger. That being said I cant wait for it to get here :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Tank progress shop via Cris and TOM

Getting close. Once complete I will need to figure out how to get it transported to my house. Need to find a flatbed or trailer that can fit a 6'x6' cube worth of space as we want to move it with it laying flat instead of on a side.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
SkyShark;n654826 said:
So cool! What's the plan for reaching the center of the bottom of the tank when it's installed?
Lol, well that is yet to be determined, but thinking snorkel and maybe wader boots. Telekinesis might work too, but need to practice
But this is why I made sure to extend the stand base out on the two main sides of the tank, so that I would hopefully be able to stand on those and be able to reach most of the tank

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha nice. Maybe a sturdy plank you could lay down on over the tank. Or build a set of robotic arms that go in the tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya thats the plan mostly, although I like the robo arms idea. Think that is something I'll have to get Halmus to help with :)

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
SynDen;654829 said:
Ya thats the plan mostly, although I like the robo arms idea. Think that is something I'll have to get Halmus to help with :)
Be sure to use titanium!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
haha of course

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The back 2 sides are 6' each, with the other two sides at 18" each and front face is about 77" across and its 28" tall. Overflow is external and will span the length of the one backside
The final design image

Top Layout