SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Huskyguy;n654884 said:
its a nice tank, I stopped at ADHI today and saw it in person. its looking really good.
Thanks, but that's cheating lol. They building you another sump or something?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
projectx;n654902 said:
Looking good, how much longer before you get to install it?
Prolly another week or two for them to get the top, bottom and external overflow added. After that I need a wall to come out at the top of the stairs so it can get in. Construction was supposed to already start on that, but delayed by permits and the historic society. With any luck the wall will come out at the same time as the tank arrival, otherwise tank will sit in the yard until it does.

Andrew_bram;n654903 said:
Your gonna need the whole family to pee in that thing to kick off the cycle
Haha, we will make it a party.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;654914 said:
Prolly another week or two for them to get the top, bottom and external overflow added. After that I need a wall to come out at the top of the stairs so it can get in. Construction was supposed to already start on that, but delayed by permits and the historic society. With any luck the wall will come out at the same time as the tank arrival, otherwise tank will sit in the yard until it does.

Haha, we will make it a party.
I guess I better hydrate

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SynDen;654829 said:
Ya thats the plan mostly, although I like the robo arms idea. Think that is something I'll have to get Halmus to help with :)

Let's do it. While we're at it, we can add an automated aiptasia zapper in case they ever decide to sneak into the tank.

The tank is going to be incredible (with or without robots and laser beams)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
halmus;n654917 said:
Let's do it. While we're at it, we can add an automated aiptasia zapper in case they ever decide to sneak into the tank.

The tank is going to be incredible (with or without robots and laser beams)!

Haha, I like the way you think. Thanks

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So rather big update :)
Tank was finished and beautifully built by ADHI. With the help of some great club members we moved it to my house backyard. Where it sat for a few weeks, waiting for the construction on my kitchen to begin. Onve my kitchen was gutted, we completely removed the wall at the top of the stairs, as well as completely removed the stairs into the basement.

The tank was wrapped in paper but I added another layer of packing tape around the tank before we moved it, to protect from scratches while we pushed and dragged it to the basement entry. From there we had to hald it stright and walk it off the edge of the basement, to drop it down. With some strong backs, great friends, and that handy lift we managed to gently lower the tank to the floor.

I made a gallery of of some of the construction progress with one of my work websites http://stage.saxo.digital1stmedia.co...d-gallery-test if anyone interested

Tank sat to the side for a few days while I finished tiling the top of the stand.

From there I set the tile, grouted it and sealed it

I also had done this beercap mosaic for the counter on one side of the tank. I will be pouring a clear bartop epoxy over the top to seal it up. Likely be doing that this weekend.

Once the tile was sealed, it was time to put the tank on the stand!! It then took me 3 days to unwrap it and clean all the adhesive junk left over from the paper that was wrapping it. Although we did scratch it in a few places, but they are all superficial, and will easily be buffed out, so 3 days of cleaning the paper was well worth the cost ;)

Although this was my first time with setting floor tiles like this, and I didnt get it quite perfect. There is a few spots around the edges where I laid the tile slightly lower and I can see a small amount of space. Its like a MM or 2 of space, but sadly going to have to add some shims around the edges. Thought about adding a foam board under it too, but not sure about that. Any thoughts on that?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
projectx;n659490 said:
Wow, that looks great.
Thanks, It is really starting to come together.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
As far as foam board. With a rimless tank, something like foam board is certainly desirable from everything I saw online. In a rimmed tank all the stresses on that frame. In a tank like this any slightly raised points in your case lower points will be like deflection stresses or whatever.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
SkyShark;n659492 said:
The mosaic is awesome!
Thanks :) It was a random art project I decided to do. Still haven't quite decided what to do with the part next to it that is hiding the plumbing, but need to get the epoxy poured soon before it gets cold or ill have to wait to next spring or so.
For the mosaic I used 2 different colored concretes to set the beer caps in. I built small forms around the outline, filled with white cement mixed with reef sand on one side and poured a regular gray cement with black reef sand on the other. I pressed the beer caps into that and then let it cure.

Fitz19d;n659494 said:
As far as foam board. With a rimless tank, something like foam board is certainly desirable from everything I saw online. In a rimmed tank all the stresses on that frame. In a tank like this any slightly raised points in your case lower points will be like deflection stresses or whatever.
Well its certainly a rimmed tank, in fact braces are 3/4 inch think acrylic just like the rest of the tank so as to support my weight on top of it without issue. If I can avoid a foam board, all the better, if I can just shim in the edges to ensure the seams are secure, Ill be happy, but really dont like being able to see under the tank even if its only a millimeter of space.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So, house construction continues. Kitchen finally back up and running. Hooray!
Tank is progressing too. Working on the sump layout, plumbing and aqua scrape now.
Honestly couldn't wait to get the rock in the tank since these rock pieces have taken a few years to get here. They have been bleaching in the sun for almost a year now, With 6 months of that soaking in freshwater to leach and clean them. Some of these rock were super scummy when I started, so hoping the leaching and bleaching helps curb some of the gha explosion that is likely to come in the near future.
I also did the epoxy top for the mosaic. Didn't quite come out as good as I would have liked, but it's solid and smooth, and was a fun art project

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
fishguy69;n660853 said:
It's gonna look cool!
Thanks, its nice to see years of planning and work coming together. :)
Remaining plumbing is on order. Hopefully be plumbed and wet soon :silentbob:

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Your rock work turned out awesome.

Where are you getting all of your plumbing from? Are you using sch80 for everything? I seem to remember seeing a lot of sch80 when I was there last. I'm just curious because I'll be needing to place a big order soon. I'm looking at BRS since their prices seem competitive with other plumbing specific retailers I've found. But, I'm curious if someone's found a better source.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;660904 said:
Your rock work turned out awesome.

Where are you getting all of your plumbing from? Are you using sch80 for everything? I seem to remember seeing a lot of sch80 when I was there last. I'm just curious because I'll be needing to place a big order soon. I'm looking at BRS since their prices seem competitive with other plumbing specific retailers I've found. But, I'm curious if someone's found a better source.

I think he got his stuff from pvcpipesupplies I say that because I'm pretty sure he recommended them to me. That's where I got my valves. They are nice quality at a fair price