T5 bulb combos

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So I have a 4 bulb t5 light currently but I am not very happy with the colors I get out of it at the moment. I will need to replace bulbs in a few months and I was wondering what bulb combinations others were using. Currently I have 2 10k and 2 actinic blues, dont remember the brands, and I have had good coral growth and such so far, but most things just dont look as good as they could, color wise, under them.
I am thinking of adding one or 2 stunner strips to them sometime later this year, but not sure which color combos I want to go with for those either.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also have a 4 bulb t5. It is an odyssea setup and came with 2 10k's and 2 bluish/actinic imposters. I am ordering new bulbs this week and have been researching lighting combos. Two ati blue+ bulbs are highly recommended, with one actinic and a purple plus bulb to supplement. I will be ordering 2 blue+ bulbs and 2 uvl 75/25 bulbs.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Hmm so seems that my 2 10k bulbs are part of the issue here and I need to add some purple. I suspected that I should add some purple but didnt think about doing all 4 with blue/purple combos

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blue plus does contain purple where are you located I run 5 blue+ 2 coral plus and 1 purple plus purple plus is pretty intense.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Located? Im downtown.
Well some intensity is what I would like, cause everything is growing well but just lacking quite a bit in the color pop that I see in most other tanks

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
rplank;293371 said:
The 75/25's I am getting are 75% actinic/25% 10k I believe. They are supposed to give a 14k look.
Ya i was looking at those and wondering how well they did since they do cover quite a range of the spectrum

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well havent seen many under t5, but all leds and MH lights I have seen have certainly given coral that bright color pop. For example I have some radioactive green zoas in the tank that I think should look much brighter green then they do, but they just have a somewhat muted green under my lights

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Where you at? I may have to do that someday if Im in the area

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That is a bit of a drive :) but I periodically drive up that way, so I will have to stop by the next time I do. Always love seeing other peoples tanks

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
T5 naturally does not have a great "popping" bulb IMO - the old/current VHO users know what I mean. However, they have some that offer great color. IMO, the best popping VHO bulb is still the URI Super Actinic T5, but will look with more power. Outside of this, I would go with 3 ATI blue plus and a purple plus know that you want some MH type popping.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Currently using 2 coral + 1 blue + and 1 actinic (ati true actinic?). The color is good, not as much pop as my LED tank, but personally I didn't like the windex water look of the blue + when I used 2.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just order an extra bulb of whatever so you can change it if you don't like it. The purple plus can give a pepto look in some cases.