T5 Height

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
First time T5 owner here.

I was wondering what would be a good height to hang 4x24w ATIs + 2x Ree Brite XHOs over a 29G biocube?

This will be for my SPS dominant build.

I appreciate your time and feedback.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Mine are 10-12 inches over the surface of the water. I have a 48" wide aquarium, but I'm also mixing in LED's as the primary lights (my T5's run 4 hours a day). I really like the T5's, but I was at the mercy of the LED's needing to be a little higher for proper spread.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ive laid fixtures on the glass just above the water before, although should give at least a few inches for proper air circulation. My current setup has them about 6 inches off the water and mounted to the lid of the canopy. I would say try to get them as close as you can, but give a minimum of 2-3 inches for airflow, but I think anything from 3-8 inches would work fine on a biocube

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anywhere from an inch to a foot will be OK. It kinda depends on if you are getting enough spread when the fixture is close. If so, then put them as close as possible.

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
My main concern is the PAR difference from where most of my SPS sit now with LEDs vs T5s.

I suspect I'll be a little higher for the Reef Brites to get enough spread.

Standard start low and move up approach, i know :p I still have a few weeks to figure it out though.