Tangs with Ich

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Hey all, looking for some advice on dealing with Ich... Read thru a few posts here but had some oadditional questions. My three tangs (blue hippo, yellow and naso which was added about a week and a half ago and is a reason i have this problem on my hands now) have ich. They are in a 150 reef tank. Is there any known treatment that is safe to use in the main tank without destroying it? I have other fish in the tank but they don't show any signs of the desease. should i assume they all have it? What would be appropriate Q tank for 7 fish(3 tangs, 2 clowns, two damsels and a dottyback)? wuold 40 g breederwork? Thanks for any input!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If the tangs have it, then all the fish have it. How big are the tangs? You will need to pull all the fish, treat them in a QT tank and let the main display go fishless for 8-10 weeks.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
the tangs are all about the same size 3.5-4" and one of the clowns is almost as big

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
40 breeder could work, but you might want to do just the tangs in that and get a 20 or something for the other fish.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
thanks for your advice. now i need to find inexpensive 40 breeder with a stand. will check to see if someone has it here for sale here or on CL.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can try ich attack, it is reef safe and i aswell as my brother in law have had luck getting the tank ich free. Its not cheap but given how many fish u have its a viable option

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;201416 said:
You can try ich attack, it is reef safe and i aswell as my brother in law have had luck getting the tank ich free. Its not cheap but given how many fish u have its a viable option

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
+1. I've used it a few times with success.

I would get a huge rubbermaid tubbie and run hypo on the fish, let the tank remain fishless for 8 weeks + and be done with the ich for good.

sent from my HTC evo 4G

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Hoosier Daddy;201431 said:
I was able to borrow a 55 gal tank that I'll set up this weekend. Thanks for your offer though. Going to treat my sick fishes with hypo. Hope it works.

reeftankulous;201552 said:
I was able to borrow a 55 gal tank that I'll set up this weekend. Thanks for your offer though. Going to treat my sick fishes with hypo. Hope it works.
good choice on the hypo, you have a auto top off and refractometer ? These are must have items to run hypo correctly.

sent from my HTC evo 4G

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
freedominco;201567 said:
good choice on the hypo, you have a auto top off and refractometer ? These are must have items to run hypo correctly.

sent from my HTC evo 4G
Will have a refractometer but no ATO yet. Any option for a DIY one without installing a float valve?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
reeftankulous;201568 said:
Will have a refractometer but no ATO yet. Any option for a DIY one without installing a float valve?
With no float valve, you can figure out how much water you're evaporating everyday and dose that same amount back. The thing with hypo is that it's a fine line you walk.

If you're having trouble with mounting a float valve, show some pics and we'll help you figure it out. If you need one, I'm sure someone has one laying around.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the advice guys! This morning almost all signs of ich are gone, barely any spots on my tangs. From what I was able to find it may be just a stage in a life cycle of the parasites where they detach from fish and go into multiplying mode on the sand and live rock just to come back 100 times worse. I have been feeding the fish a lot of seaweeds with added garlic extract, hooked up a UV sterilizer (been running it fior a week)and got the biggest cleaner shrimp I could find at aquatic art. May be a combination of these things helped or may be I need to get ready for the worst? Setting up a 55 gal QT any way just to be ready. I read that sometimes you can "feed the fish thru ich" anyone had any success with that? I know that ich will still be in the tank but if the fish are strong enough they can fight it off. I'll keep posting updates... May be someone will find them helpful.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reeftankulous;201730 said:
Thanks for the advice guys! This morning almost all signs of ich are gone, barely any spots on my tangs. From what I was able to find it may be just a stage in a life cycle of the parasites where they detach from fish and go into multiplying mode on the sand and live rock just to come back 100 times worse. I have been feeding the fish a lot of seaweeds with added garlic extract, hooked up a UV sterilizer (been running it fior a week)and got the biggest cleaner shrimp I could find at aquatic art. May be a combination of these things helped or may be I need to get ready for the worst? Setting up a 55 gal QT any way just to be ready. I read that sometimes you can "feed the fish thru ich" anyone had any success with that? I know that ich will still be in the tank but if the fish are strong enough they can fight it off. I'll keep posting updates... May be someone will find them helpful.
Maybe still add ich attach to the tank could be helpful to get rid of some of what's in your tank just a thought.