Tank Placement

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Below are pics for a 60 frag tank measuring 4x2x1 with a 40B as a sump.

View attachment 23384

This is the current floorplan and shows two possible locations for the 60. Location One is along the leftmost wall in the pic - this is also close to a window, a heat register, and has a electric plugin that I'd have to cover due to my boys. Location Two is along the bottom most wall in the pic - it's close to a sink for RO refills for the ato, has an outlet that would be covered by the stand, and is away from any light or heat sources.

View attachment 23383
So this shows the basement under my office where the 60 will be placed. Location One runs perpendicular to the floor beams, has a support wall running right under it, and backs into the concrete pad for the front door. Location Two runs parrallel with the beams and sits right over the middle of the bathroom, there are numerous support walls but due to the partially finished basement I can't see how they attach well.

I'm leaning towards location two because it's farthest from the window/register, but am unsure due to the way the beams run. I switched from a 120 to a 60 so I wouldn't have to worry about the floor.

Thoughts?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
A 60 gal won't affect your floors unless they're positively spongy. Now, if you were to put a 300 in, then you need to worry about floor support capabilities.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;349262 said:
A 60 gal won't affect your floors unless they're positively spongy. Now, if you were to put a 300 in, then you need to worry about floor support capabilities.
Cool beans. Didn't want to do anything that would later require a facepalm.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
If you're truly concerned, calculate the weight of the water, rock, sand, and tank. Prolly gonna be under 800lbs, right? Would you be worried if 4 average sized adults stood where the tank is going to go?

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;349269 said:
If you're truly concerned, calculate the weight of the water, rock, sand, and tank. Prolly gonna be under 800lbs, right? Would you be worried if 4 average sized adults stood where the tank is going to go?
I agree cindy 60 you're fine. But the example of men standing isn't a good one. Now if she said stood there in that exact spot for 3 years different story. Difference between peak and sustained loads. People standing is peak sustained is like tanks and furniture and such.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
This is a reef addict we're talking about. That tank won't stay there for 3 years. He'll be upgrading, moving, etc. Shoot, I've known people to upgrade and relocate their tanks before they even got the original one set up.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;349279 said:
Shoot, I've known people to upgrade and relocate their tanks before they even got the original one set up.
Haha...thanks guys! Wanted to double check as research can only get so far vs experience. And yes, I do have a 120 sitting in my garage for the next house we move to (part of the reason I chose bare bottom and shallow as it will be easier to take apart the aquascape). Your 3 years was close, we are shooting to buy a house in 4. ;)

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
:rofl:

I knew it! Don't feel bad. In a span of 2 years, I went from a 35 hex to a 700 gallon 2-tank system. Now I've got the whole Sea of Cortez to swim in.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;349273 said:
Cool - I can now tell the GF that I am average as opposed to chunky...
Lol...I just saw this.