Test Group Salinity Comparison

projectx;n648951 said:
do you just use a standard Volt Ohm meter or a special one? is there a formula?
I suppose you could if you kept the probes a fixed distance apart. It would be easier to go buy a Hanna tester.

Well I don't do organic stuff and I don't look for ammonia. Everything else I can see. All metals, salinity, hardness. Anions....I will be working up the salt water results today

Andrew_bram;n648969 said:
So you would be able to see difference between say tap water ro water and kold steril water.
I never heard of kold sterile water. I looked it up online and I'm not impressed.
Look at the results of the RO/DI test results. I have my lab grade RO/DI results compared with the other RO/DI samples. Not sure if any of those are kold or not.
I will be taking another batch of samples at Stone this month if you would like to join my test group.

Andrew_bram;n648974 said:
If I am home I will. I am just very impressed with my cold steril so far and thought it would be interesting
Andrew, I hope I didn't offend you by saying I wasn't impressed. All I meant is that Kold's claims are no different than what RO/DI does. The fact that there is no waste generated means that you should either be washing out the system or replacing filters more often. Not sure of the water quality in Loveland but in any tap water there is a bunch of waste being taken out. Where does it go? Directly on to your columns. That's probably why we do not use that technology in the research field. We have Million dollar instruments that can measure down to ppt. That's parts per trillion. We don't need all that for aquariums but my point is that our RO/DI is plenty good for the worlds leading sciences.
For instance: ceramics for aircraft cannot have any Boron in it at all. If so, the ceramics are too weak and shatter easily...not good when you are in the air. Those "super clean" labs use RO/DI units. Although, their resin beds probably cost as much as my truck.
Anyway Andrew, I am not doubting the capability of the Kold system. If you begin bringing me regular samples we can watch and see how long it takes for your filters to begin crapping up. How long have you been running this unit?

-Wet

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just started running this unit on my new system as I see high end vendors that use it. I switched because of the waste factor. I have no doubt that ro is more pure. My question is at what expense are we going to for water in aquariums. For instance if I used tap water for years. And it was only problematic if I fed to heavy. For our Reef systems if we take out the bad stuff and leave the good stuff is that better then taking everything out I wasn't offended at all

LOL! that's a whole nether topic... Personally, I don't buy into the "wasteful" argument. We pay for it, we dispose of drinkable water which dilutes the polluted stuff in our public waters. Makes it easier to clean up. Since we pay for our water, we are paying for the manpower and materials to clean it up.
If we are really that concerned, I should see everyone emptying their bathtubs into their lawn and gardens. That is the best way to save water. Also, you can run your waste water line to the garden, pond or nuclear reactor to feel better about the waste.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Wet Paycheck;648984 said:
LOL! that's a whole nether topic... Personally, I don't buy into the "wasteful" argument. We pay for it, we dispose of drinkable water which dilutes the polluted stuff in our public waters. Makes it easier to clean up. Since we pay for our water, we are paying for the manpower and materials to clean it up.
If we are really that concerned, I should see everyone emptying their bathtubs into their lawn and gardens. That is the best way to save water. Also, you can run your waste water line to the garden, pond or nuclear reactor to feel better about the waste.
Personally, I find the waste water very useful in my nuclear reactor.