1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

The 120 reef ready upgrade

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Lmmchops, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

2. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

I could give you a couple of the marine pure balls in my sump if you’d like

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

3. Lmmchops

Lmmchops Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

That would help thanks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using MASC mobile app

Legonch likes this.
  4. Lmmchops

Ok I'm at the point where I am deciding whether or not i want to buy a controller and if so which one. So I would love recommendations I have read a lot of the reviews both good and bad on the apex and am on the fence.
    Also what heaters would you reccomend I have the 100w cobalt neo therm in my 30 gallon and love it but almost $300 for 2 300w ones seems a little crazy when you look at the cost of the others especially if they are going to be monitored by a controller.

5. Lmmchops

After a lot of research last night I have decided on the GHL Profilux 4 mega set and will probably use a pair of Eheim Jager heaters

6. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

The GHL is a solid choice. Very reliable by all accounts and open source. I hope the company is helpful like Neptune or so reliable you don’t need the help.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

7. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Ya cant beat GHLs. I so want their lights and a kh director

8. Lmmchops

Yeah after reading about the reliability, overall build quality, and not having to buy a bunch of different modules I was sold.

9. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Yea for sure. I’ll be looking into the whole thing too before I upgrade my apex and do the Neptune alk and calcium thing.

10. Lmmchops

Well it's not much of an update but I went through and attached my different controllers. Waiting on a couple more fittings and all of the plumbing will be done. 1537267765007.jpg

Legonch likes this.
  11. Lmmchops

Here it is! Not the final scape but wanted to get the cycle started while I get the last few touches done. 1538347913476.jpg

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  12. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

It's looking great!

13. Lmmchops

Thanks man! I have the next couple days off gonna try to get the cabinet doors finished up and get the canopy painted.

14. Lmmchops

Okay here it is with the final scape and all cleared up I threw a light on just for the pics 20181001_173409.jpg 20181001_173429.jpg

15. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Looks very nice, good balance. What's the stocking plan?

16. Lmmchops

The only thing I know for sure I want in there as of this point is a white tail bristletooth tang. I am open to suggestions on other fish

17. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

SynDen and kchristensen8064 like this.
  18. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Coming from the guy that needs to post pics of his tank with water. Brahaha

On a serious note i say take your time to research fish. Look into characteristics that you want as well as compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss and Lmmchops like this.
  19. SynDen

Ya totally agree. It really pays to sit down, and figure out your stocking plan. You got one fish to start with, look at some others you like, and think of the corals you want to keep. Then build a plan around that.
    My 3 favorite community fish are pearly jawfish, engineer goby, and just about any anthias, and I want to keep clams, plus LPS corals, so stocking plan for my big tank is built around a community that supports or co-exists with those.

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  20. Lmmchops

Ok I will sit down and put together a list here in the next couple days.

TheRealChrisBrown and SynDen like this.