1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

The 120 reef ready upgrade

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Lmmchops, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Lmmchops

Lmmchops Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Well there should be no shortage of light on this thing I am putting my ap700 mounted center on the tank flanked by two 48" reefbrite supra slimline retrofit t5

Sent from my SM-G892A using MASC mobile app

2. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Michael Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium had a nice list of fish types broken down for you. Really helpful for these situations. I'll see if I can't find my copy tonight
    This old dude once told me "Fish can't read books." Just because a sixlne is supposed to be peaceful doesn't mean he's not going to rule the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Lmmchops, SynDen and SkyShark like this.
  3. Lmmchops

That would be awesome.

4. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Sent some pics. It's the largest chapter so I only sent a few. I can send all of you'd like

5. Lmmchops

Well here it is all done I've been really busy the past month and a half and havent had much time or energy to do much but finally got it all out together and all the inhabitants from my 30 transferred. 20181127_135219.jpg 20181127_133533.jpg

6. Lmmchops

Here is a better upright picture 1543353369201.jpg

7. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Looks like a good start. Now just wait a while and let it balance out, then you can start loading it up

Lmmchops likes this.
  8. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Uhg.. I wish I had looked at this sooner. Your going to end up hating that sump. work ok while clean, but as soon as it gets a bit dirty, the flow going to the various compartments gets all whacked. The refugium part is pretty much worthless as the chaeto ends up blocking the flow in that chamber and the water just finds it's way through other channels. I would just put a Brightwell export brick in the refugium and call it good. Buy extra sponges for the slots between the chambers. these get plugged up pretty quick as well and you will want to be able to swap them out. Depending on your ATO, the pump chamber gets a lot of bio film. the IR sensor type ATO ends up having problems. As soon as I can afford it, I will be removing my Eshopps. I am dreading trying to do this on a fully established tank.

9. Lmmchops

Yeah I already see the lack of flow through it I have temporarily remedied it with a couple of powerheads in there

10. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

What about putting a tiny power head in the cheato compartment? I have on in my sump that comes on for several hours a day. Makes a difference in cheato growth, sump being clean and my ph is a bit higher.

11. Lmmchops

This is what I am doing currently

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  12. Lmmchops

Added a few new corals trying my hand at some easier acros got a green millie from Aric at Emerald reef supply always great stuff there!
    Also installed a phosban 150 for a carbon reactor at this point just need to get a different fuge light my magma fuge from my 30L is keeping the chaeto alive but not growing it saw that coming though haha
    20181210_195433.jpg 20181210_195444.jpg 20181210_195506.jpg

Legonch and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  13. Lmmchops

It's been a little while since I've posted an update. I have recently added a kessil h380 to my fuge and my chaeto growth has just exploded! 20190224_204417.jpg
    I've also started getting some more sps and got a gel filter at reefstock so now much better pictures. 20190303_185720.jpg 20190303_185432.jpg 20190303_185701.jpg 20190303_185624.jpg

14. Lmmchops

15. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Looks great! Filling in. How are you supplying calcium and alk?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

16. Lmmchops

Thank you and for the moment I am using brs 2 part but I picked up a calcium reactor recently and am gonna get that started up here in a little while.

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.