The 65 gallon Phoenix build - Skrappy's tank lives!

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's been just over two weeks since Skrappy *gave* me his setup and two boxes of extras. Of course, anything I have in my tanks that he wants a frag of when he starts up again is his (it's the very least I can do). Over the course of about six hours, we tore down and setup his system. The dude gave me his tank AND spent his day moving and setting it up - damn!

His main concern was that his livestock were goring to be taken care of and I'm happy to report that so far there have not been any casualties - all the livestock, including the corals, are alive and well!

Here is a few pics of the tank late on the first night after getting the basics up and running:

Since taking over the tank, I've added new sand, replaced the T5HO ballast in the fixture, got both the white and actinic T5HO lights going, cleaned up the glass over the two metal halide lights, made a few frag racks from the egg crate he gave me, changed the water several times (total of about 25 gallons), and slowly ramped up the lighting back to full strength (or close to it).

This is my most recent picture of the tank - from about 5 days after getting the tank setup - but it gives you a pretty good idea of the current setup:

I will add some new ones tomorrow when the lights are back on.

My 75 gallon tank has LEDs (a mixture of Skye, current pro modules, a marine orbit, and sone stunner strips). I can grow some sps (up high in the tank), LPS, zoas, etc, but I have to say the T5/metal halide combo (and a marine orbit for sunrise, sunset, and moon lighting) looks amazing! I may have to "upgrade" my 75 gallon tank lights to a similar T5/MH combo.

There are still things I need to do, like clean up some algae (the tank suffered a bit under the care of his ex), beef up the cleanup crew, maybe add some more live rock, but at this point I just want to let things continue to settle in and keep up the water changes.

Skrappy - you are one hell of a guy, and I am so glad we met. Hit me up when you are ready to get back in the hobby!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Following along...I think that's the tank I sold to him a year or so ago. Nice!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man I felt bad for him too have to give his tank away after the girl friend gave him the shaft! You truly scored and hope that skrappy was compensated a little for giving his reef away.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unfortunately I just could not come up with the cash for him. He has a job now and said that the cash wasn't so important - he was really concerned for the wellbeing of his livestock. He was really about to give a LFS his livestock and dump the rest in the trash - his ex gave him just a few hours warning and it was killing him inside. That said, I'm working on saving back some cash to pass his way.

I have a 29 gallon biocube that I'm looking to sell, and after I give my son his share (he paid half), I'll be adding that to the Skrappy cash. And as I said, whatever he wants from the tank once he gets back up and running will be his. I offered the cube, but he said were he is staying has well water, not much space, and can get pretty cold in the winter. I think he is eyeing a 120+ in the future once he gets his own place and is ready to dive in again.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, here are two pics from today. First up, the marine orbit led light at full strength after the sunrise ramp up:

and here is the tank with the marine orbit led light plus the white and actinic T5HOs:

I'll post one more once the MH turn on later today.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well you will be happy to know... I am back in the hobby. About a year after having to give away this tank, my fathers health started to go down hill a bit faster so I moved back out to Georgia to be closer to him. I just set up a brand new 120 with corner overflow in a peninsula style. I still have to do a few things to it, like buying a second gyre 250 when I can afford it, but it is cycling now. Wish I was still in Colorado, missing the MASC forums so I'm sure I will stop by from time to time to get my fix. The ARC(Atlanta Reef Club) just doesn't have the same type of community I grew accustomed to here.

lesserwhirls

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well you will be happy to know... I am back in the hobby. About a year after having to give away this tank, my fathers health started to go down hill a bit faster so I moved back out to Georgia to be closer to him. I just set up a brand new 120 with corner overflow in a peninsula style. I still have to do a few things to it, like buying a second gyre 250 when I can afford it, but it is cycling now. Wish I was still in Colorado, missing the MASC forums so I'm sure I will stop by from time to time to get my fix. The ARC(Atlanta Reef Club) just doesn't have the same type of community I grew accustomed to here.
PM me your new address man!