The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Build thread--433.9 gal.

I guess it\'s about time I start this thread. The asbestos-abatement crew is supposed to start tomorrow, so I guess I finally believe that this\'ll happen. :)

Last spring, my lovely bride and I found out that it was time to have our furnace replaced. Our 110-year-old, converted from coal to natural gas, covered all over the place in asbestos furnace. As we contemplated moving out to accommodate the haz mat crews, we remembered that the last time we had the floors refinished, they told us it was the last time those floors were ever going to be refinished.... Then we remembered all of those conversations about re-working the kitchen....

It was all downhill from there.

Seriously, we love the vast majority of the house, we love the location, and we don\'t want to move so while we were going to be out anyway it seemed like the perfect time to fit in a major remodel to make it the way we\'ve always wished it could be. So that we never have to move again (hopefully).

We started working with an architect. We redesigned the house the way we wished, including the idea of adding three rooms stacked to the back--basement, first floor, and second floor. We then submitted what everyone thought were pretty modest remodel plans to the city and drew the worst possible scenario: We were assigned the new member of the planning department. Sigh.

She was supposed to have a month on the first round of comments. She was a month late on that. Worse, they came back with a flat, \"No,\" that cited as support laws that don\'t even apply to my city zoning. It took another month to thoroughly research and refute her first comments. (At one point we had a meeting with her and her boss. Her boss said, \"Do you know that there are over 400 pages of code? It\'s really hard to read this stuff.\") She got another month to respond (and was another week late). \"Yes.\" Woohoo! (Thanks for wasting a _ton_ of money.... :( )

So now another month-and-a-half to work on permits. We aren\'t entirely through that process, but the demo permits are out. So now the work begins! Woohoo, again!

Goals for the tank
I\'ve always wanted a larger tank. I guess that pretty much goes without saying. But, I\'ve never had a tank longer than 4\' and I\'ve never felt comfortable keeping any tangs or other larger fish in that space, so I\'m planning a tank that will give fish a lot of swimming room. One of the goals of the remodel is to install a largish \"spa\" room downstairs because my wife and I are starting to get some physical issues. I decided that I like the option of using a big tank as a room divider between the spa and the living room so that the relaxation benefits that everyone else but me ( :) ) gets from the aquarium can be had from either side. Plus, I think it\'ll be cool.

I\'ve also decided against doing as much DIY this time around because of the mentioned physical issues, so I\'ve hired a local aquarium installer (Aqua Imports) who also happens to be my LFS to help me out.

Tank dimensions
I\'m aiming for something a little different on this one. It\'ll be an \"L\" shaped tank. The first roughly 4.5\' x 2\' x 2\' will be in the foyer as you walk in the door to my house, and then making a corner into the living room for another roughly 12\' x 2\' x 2\'. I say roughly, because I don\'t know the exact plans yet for overflows and room for plumbing the closed loops. Roughly 434 gals. by my calculations. A plan might help:

and

and

http://65.102.221.68/Main_level.jpeg

The fish room
Essentially, I have my entire current basement to play with for a fish room. I\'ve always liked the idea I read somewhere about how large aquariums use a lot of water volume hidden out-of-sight in order to allow for more fish in the display tank than could be had otherwise. Current plans for behind-the-scenes call for a system with a 180 gal. sump, the 120 gal. and 40 gal. tanks that I currently have, and 6 more 90 gal. tanks to serve various support roles. Most of those tanks won\'t be filled completely, so I\'m estimating system volume at about 1,100 gal. +- for displacement.

http://65.102.221.68/Basement.jpeg

More to come.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re:The build thread: 430gal. display

Thanks! The fight with the city was pretty bad. :(

Since I\'ve given you the overview, I\'ll also start dribbling out the details as they occur to me.

Details
The scanned plans are kind of an early version. The tub surround in the bathroom now runs the entire length of the tank and we are planning it to support my weight, giving me a ledge on which to do tank maintenance on the side of the tank that\'ll take saltwater a whole lot better.

I just talked to a geothermal guy a couple of days ago. We\'re remodeling the house and removing the old furnace as part of the deal. In my area, to get a large enough geothermal unit to heat the house in the winter means that it\'ll only take about 40% of the unit\'s capacity to cool the whole house in the summer. Lots of leftover BTUs . I told the geothermal guy of my tank plans and asked whether he could help me out. He asked all of the right questions: We talked about aquarium temperature controllers (he just needs a signal of some sort and the controller will be perfect for that), and material for heat exchangers. In the end, he\'s planning on just setting up my aquariums as if they were another heating and cooling zone in the house. I can set them to whatever temp I want with a 300-400% efficient heating and cooling unit (minus the costs associated with the heat exchanger, of course).

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sounds very cool andy! It will be exciting to see the progress of the aquarium!

cheers~!
jon

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks, Jon!

Here\'s what the space looks like (sorry that I forgot these earlier):

The tank will be here.

The fish room will be here:

And this is the beast that started it all:

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Can you throw in some macros to document the condition of the furnace?

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I can promise you, I\'ve seen more of that basement dust than I ever care to again. I\'m not going close up on any of that stuff. I filled five dumpsters full out of that damn basement and most of it was stuff that was there when we moved in.... Okay, half of it was stuff that was there when we moved in.

I do have a couple of new spider photos if anyone wants to see \'em, though. :laugh: 5x life-size, baby!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Ummfish wrote:
I do have a couple of new spider photos if anyone wants to see \'em, though. :laugh: 5x life-size, baby!
ROFL...bring em on

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

That furnace actually looks pretty damn good for as old as it is (probably as old as my great grandma would have been LOL). I\'m impressed, it must have had some good maintenance over the years.

Post edited by: zooid, at: 2008/01/17 01:57

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, I don\'t know. I think it was pretty much just ignored most of the time. When they did renovations over the years, they just cut the heat to the rooms whenever they found a duct in the wall :)blink: I hope they used masks at least) and then covered the holes in the furnace with aluminum foil. :pinch: Hurts just thinking about it.

AND they did all their own electrical. We\'ve found outlets with two positives and no ground wire. Yep, we\'re re-doing the electrical.

AND they removed one of the main structural posts in the basement, probably because it was in the way. Yep, we\'re adding steel.

I don\'t even want to talk about the plumbing. Yep, we\'re re-doing that, too.

The tank costs are nothing compared to what we\'re doing just to fix all of the bonehead renovation mistakes made by previous owners. But, when we\'re done it should be ready for its next hundred years.

New spider photos

So, 5x lifesize should be enough to fill the sensor with an image of an object the size of a grain of rice. It\'s a really small spider.

Here\'s an exercise to show the difference f-stop makes. Notice that not even all of the eyes are in focus in the first one. F/2.8:

F/16:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I\'ve been working on a fish list, what do you all think?

White-cheeked tang (A japonicus)
Kole tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus)
yellow tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens) (5) or purple tangs (Zebrasoma xanthurum) (5)
scribbled rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus)
Bartlett\'s Anthias (Pseudanthias bartlettorum), a school of 11-15
a small Resplendent anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus) harem (3-5) (I\'ve kept these before and really liked them)
Pink skunk clown (Amphipirion perideraion) pair
Onyx perc pair (Amphiprion percula)
3-5 bicolor blennies (Ecsenius bicolor)
a pair of lawnmower blennies (Salarias fasciatus), if I can find them
a pair of orchid dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani)
a pair of Bangaii cardinals (Pterapogon kauderni), if I can find tank-raised
a pair of sixline wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia), if I can get a pair
1 M, 2 F Scott\'s fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus scottorum) or 1 M, 2 F of Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)
Several yellowhead jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons)
Mandarin pair (Synchiropus splendidus)

Remember, I don\'t have a lot of experience with bigger fish, so any input is welcome. Especially general compatibility and order of intro info would be nice.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

It\'s a big tank.

Those are my wants list. I don\'t mind paring down from here, but remember that we\'re talking about 1,100ish gals. of water volume.

I\'m actually most worried about the blennies. I\'d love to get pairs going, but I know how territorial they are. Then again, it\'s a looong tank.

Anyway.

Post edited by: Ummfish, at: 2008/01/17 21:29

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

hey Andy all I can tell you is that I have three tangs in a 200g. All of them got along until I lost my blue hippo tang. They still get along ok except, now the purple tang is a big bully. I think the hippo tang even though it was smaller, was keeping the peace hehe. At one point I had a Scoapus tang, yellow tang, purple tang, and a blue hippo in the 200. I have all but the hippo tang now (RIP).
BTW, I would add your tangs (especially the purples)AFTER all the other fish in the tank. I don\'t have much experience with the white cheeked or kole tangs but if they are the same shape as the yellows and purples you may have problems.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Remember, I said yellow tangs OR purple tangs. Not both. That WOULD be scary. :)

I\'ve heard both sides on Koles--someone was saying that they are the most peaceful tang, others that they\'re holy terrors. So, I don\'t know what to do with that one.

I tried to find tangs from three different genuses (geni?), hoping that would help.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Yeah I saw that you said OR....after I posted but 5 purple tangs in one tank would scare the hell out of me lol.
I\'d love to see the anthias all schooling though.
You still have your juvie onyx percs? when you start mating them, I want one of the offspring lol. My poor onyx (I think it\'s an onyx) has been without a mate for over a year now.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Yeah, the onyx are doing fine. The male\'s only made one trip down to the sump. Not too bad. :) The female\'s getting close to pushing an inch in length! :) They\'re pretty slow to color up for me, but I don\'t have them under a whole lot of light.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

The scribbled rabbitfish is an interesting choice. Until a week ago I had never looked twice at it. I decided to look it up to see what people had to say about it and I couldn\'t find a single owner who didn\'t gleam with excitement and sing it\'s praises. Many people said it was their favorite fish.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I\'ve kept one before and it was such a rockin\' fish. A beautiful fish, first off. Very personable and I had no trouble teaching it to eat mysis and pretty much anything else from my hands. I think it must have eaten Valonia because that was the only tank in the system without that scourge (I never saw it, though) but it would never touch Bryopsis, unfortunately. It would eat any other macroalgae that I tossed in, though, including Chaeto and Caulerpa. I didn\'t have it with any other fishes, so I don\'t really know how it interacts with others. But, other people say that\'s it pretty much ignores everything else and is ignored. Mine grew really quickly. I would think that mine would have done better with some dither fish, but, again, it was perfectly willing to eat out of my hands so it couldn\'t have been too scared of me. I had it in a 40XL (4\' x 1\' x 1\'), but I think that was too small by the end as it did grow really fast.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, the asbestos people DID finally start work today. The build is officially started! We are still fighting with permits, or we would be except the person is out of town. Permits is trying to get us to put a window on the new part of the basement. I have no real attitude either way, but doing it would mean another round of stuff through the engineer and just more time in general.