The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, be careful with that. I have a trinoc with adapters for my SLR. It's an enormous pain. (a) The adapter goes straight to the camera body, so all you're really using is the camera sensor. But the scope winds up shooting a lot of dust into the body. (b) It's a cheaper scope and the trinoc port doesn't focus at exactly the same place that the eye pieces do. _That's_ a nightmare. To take one picture I wind up taking 70, all at slightly different focus so I hopefully get one that's clear. Not fun.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I read somewhere once that just-hatched Berghia juveniles are so small that "you'll never see them." I take statements like that personally, so here are pictures of just-hatched juvenile Berghia.

Top lighting:

Through lighting (the red thing to the left is either a flatworm or a large protist so, yes, they are really small):

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do the larvae have to settle out or do they crawl away from the egg spiral?
My spirals have started hatching but the spirals are in a position that I can't use my loupe to try and find them.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm excited to be able to say that I think my RSF Cerith population may be making a comeback. I'm starting to see a _lot_ of juveniles that look like small Ceriths to me.

Those are grains of sand that they are keeping clean.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I'll certainly have lots of these:

But to give you an idea of the Ceriths' size right now, here's this:

Compare to the amphipod on the bottom left.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely some good photos!!! I have some of those first eggs laid on my glass! Gotta get rid of them in the upgrade though :(. I'll need a beefier CUC though lol!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad: Yeah, pretty cool. I wasn't expecting it to be faceted, sort of like an insect:

Juan: Cool on the eggs. Sorry you'll be ditching them. :) I'm looking forward to seeing that new tub running, though. I'm sorry that I don't have any cucs. My wife has a "no everters" policy on the livestock. :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like one of my corals is spawning, a sort of clavularia-type. These are brooders that hold their planulae on their tentacles before releasing them (tentacle brooders):

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's cool Andy. Are you going to try and catch some of the release? LOL I don't know whether to call it larvae or not.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a closeup for you. The quality isn't so good because it's at about 300%, but you can see the planula coming right out of the polyp's mouth:

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, Cory is setting himself up to farm them. It sounds like they settle as easily as Pocillopora, but these grow faster because they don't have to make themselves a hard skeleton. So, pretty high. Brooders rock!

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow very cool dude! As if the blue cloves didn't grow fast enough as it is, now we have documented evidence that they are likely to spawn in captivity! Very cool! I wonder, are these truly planulae larvae that they are releasing or are they egg and sperm combined into a ball that is able to self fertilize and then settle into planular larvae? If it is either then I would assume the coral is a simultaneous hermaphrodite.
Congrats dude!

One last q, when did this take place? Was the coral spawning during daylight hours or did you catch it after lights out?