The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
To complicate matters, some brooders can release clones as planulae in the absence of a fertilizer.... :)

This has been happening the last few days. The first day was most of the colony. (I think. I saw it happening, but didn't have time to get a close look.) The second days was when this photo was taken. There have been progressively fewer polyps involved each day. Today I only see a couple.

I start noticing them a few hours after the lights come on each day.

Do you have build specs up anywhere for your larvae collector? I may have missed it when I was wading through this thread, but id love to see how you built it.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hoodrat: Thanks!

xjdiver: "Do you have build specs up anywhere for your larvae collector?"

I don't have one at the moment other than the sieve I use with the sixlines. If I were to try to collect the planulae off the coral I think I would just use a turkey baster or large syringe.

wicked demon: I'm up for it! :)

Sorry guys, lots of pet issues these days so I'm not spending a lot of time with the tanks. My cat was in the ICU last Saturday (complications from heartworms) and the dog went in this morning (grand mal seizures :( , not fun to wake up to). And the horse is lame, too. Sigh.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's been a while since I played with the fluorescence gear.

This Acan. was my very first coral and is the only coral still alive from those days. It managed to live through a couple of years in a decidedly under-lit, tiny nano tank with not enough water changes.

Some weird creatures that have always lived on this coral. I still have no clue what they are.

Another polyp:

And individual zooxanthellae, backlit by the coral's own fluorescence.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Of course, the interesting thing isn't the blenny, but the coral underneath:

This is the coral's second spawn. It looks to be associated with the days right around the new moon.

Thanks!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The people at Reef Central demanded an update, so I thought I'd post it here, too.

All right. The Boulder fires messed up my schedule for the tank cleanup a bit, but it's done now.

FTS:

It's not as pretty as I'd like it to be at this point, but here you go. A couple of ballasts decided to click off before I took the photo, but you get the idea. The red kind of looks like cyano, but it's a deep red coralline. Most of it at least.

My monster tang. It's probably 1' 3"--1' 4" now. More tangs:

The ricordia is doing okay:

More fish:

My 100mm lens can _not_ get the gramma color. This is my big male. He's enormous.

And one of the cleaner wrasses. They still spawn 2-3 times per day.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm amazed every time I see that fish lol.....he's definitely a monster. I don't see how he fits under his ledge hehe.