The DR.'s 215 build!!! Finally... :/

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Going to get a 215 on Monday or so. Started cutting 1.5" steel stock for the stand.

Goona test the Welding skills tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: The DR.'s 215 build!!! Finally... :/

Do you need help picking it up?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me know if you need someone to weld it up here is one I just recently did. Can do it for a small fee :)

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just keep your joints tightly fitted and don't get it to hot or it will warp.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;248032 said:
Let me know if you need someone to weld it up here is one I just recently did. Can do it for a small fee :)
What did something like this cost?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Thanks mike, I have a way to get the tank to the house. I'd hate to abuse your generosity. I may need help with the stand and gettin the tank onto it in a few more days.

Charlie, yea the tank tour was helpful!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang...going from a pile of metal to a tank sitting on a stand in a few days?!

Subscribed. :)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

09bumblebee;248032 said:
If my welds suck I'll give you a call! Your work is clearly superior to mine. Hopefully I can do an adequate job. I'm going to bolt plywood to the back and sides to give it more stability as well.

If you do end up helping could you come here ? I do have access to really good equipment. Thanks!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

09bumblebee;248034 said:
Just keep your joints tightly fitted and don't get it to hot or it will warp.
Goona tack it together and then do the welds. Lots of clamping!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

jahmic;248048 said:
Dang...going from a pile of metal to a tank sitting on a stand in a few days?!

Subscribed. :)
Yea but I've been planning for a while. Purchased the metal like 3 months ago.

I'll try to keep pics of butts out of my build (unlike Andrew! Lol)

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Awesome, following along. Great to see another steel stand. I cut all my corners at 45 so there's no open ends to rust.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So in my current 120 dual corner overflow I am running herbies on both and drilled the back. The return os a water blaster 7000. I am thinking of doing a modified bean animal. This is what I am thinking. Do the full siphon and the emergency in the left overflow and the open channel and return on the right side. Any input would be welcome. I have a couple of weeks to decide.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;248049 said:
If my welds suck I'll give you a call! Your work is clearly superior to mine. Hopefully I can do an adequate job. I'm going to bolt plywood to the back and sides to give it more stability as well.

If you do end up helping could you come here ? I do have access to really good equipment. Thanks!

Yea def can do that let me know. Do some practice welds. After its tack'd do opposite ends weld on the left than go to the other side of the stand.

Plywood won't be necessary!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;248103 said:
So in my current 120 dual corner overflow I am running herbies on both and drilled the back. The return os a water blaster 7000. I am thinking of doing a modified bean animal. This is what I am thinking. Do the full siphon and the emergency in the left overflow and the open channel and return on the right side. Any input would be welcome. I have a couple of weeks to decide.
Do it!

Are you going to do a ball valve the full siphon and durso the open channel? And I've seen that some people cut the emergency drain high above the sump so I can hear a distinct water splashing sound under the tank if it ever gets activated...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have gate valves on the current herbie. They are much easer to do small adjustments. Yea durso for the open channel.