1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

The Etoimos 270g FOWLR build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Etoimos, Feb 19, 2021.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Here are a couple quick pics of mine. IMG_4281.JPG IMG_4280.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

2. Etoimos

Etoimos Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Your pics do look like the ones at Scheels

MuralReef likes this.
  3. Etoimos

I finished the stripes up on Monday.

Red paint laid down over the taped off area to seal the edges
    [​IMG]

After the two coats of red dried, I taped off the black stripe.
    [​IMG]

Sealed those edges with red.
    [​IMG]

Next was two coats of black (technically, really dark grey).
    [​IMG]

Then all that was left to do was carefully remove all the tape and checkout if all this time and effort paid off or not.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some spots that needed touching up, especially in the corners.
    [​IMG]

I think it turned out pretty good for my first time taping and painting stripes. I did learn a couple of things doing this. First, do not paint over both edges of the tape when sealing a color, just paint over the inside edge of the tape. If you do this you will end up with a paint line on the outside edge that will show where you taped it off. It is not very noticeable since it is the same color as the wall, but it is there. Secondly, put down a really good coat of paint, or maybe even two coats, when you are color sealing the tape. I thought I had put down enough paint to seal between colors, but as you can see in that last photo, I still had areas were some of the next color bled through.

MuralReef and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  4. Tinyreef

Tinyreef Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks super clean.

5. Craigar

Craigar Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Good job

6. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Your walls are what I always imagine in my head, you know....what it is supposed to look like.

I try to paint stripes:
    paint-splatter.jpg

7. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Reminds me of tron for some reason lol.

All joking aside I like the look.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  8. Etoimos

Thanks everyone.

Not a not so fun note, it appears that Planet missed the deadline for completing my tank yet again. I'm now at 11 weeks and counting for this thing, that's a good ways off from their 4-6 week estimate. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow when they respond via email.

9. Etoimos

Happy Easter everyone.

My RODI reservoirs showed up on Thursday. Man these things are big!

[​IMG]

On Friday and Saturday I made some decent headway on the fish room.

I got my cabinets hung.
    [​IMG]

The door painted.
    [​IMG]

I did not want to just have bare concrete floors for multiple reasons, but I also did not want to paint or epoxy just the fish room area as that would look really weird if I ever had to remove the fish room. Or I'd have to put in a ton of work doing the rest of the 3 car garage so that it matched. So instead, I ordered some rubber garage floor tiles and got those installed.
    [​IMG]

It is messy, but the cut really well on the table saw.
    [​IMG]

The room is starting to really come together now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last thing I got done yesterday was getting the countertop installed. What huge PITA that was! I'm repurposing all the cabinets and countertop from the garage since they were not being used out there. The problem was that they were 72" long and I only have space for just under 60" of counter top. Cutting it down was not too bad.
    [​IMG]

But getting it into the fish room by my self and keep it both straight and level was very difficult. I scraped and dinged and gouged the walls pretty bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did finally manage to get it in place and repair all of the wall damage.
    [​IMG]

I don't like the color of the countertop at all, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I don't know if you can paint a laminate top and not have the paint flaking and peeling about a little while. Anyone know?

Haddonisreef likes this.
  10. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Coming together looks great!!

11. Tinyreef

Tinyreef Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Maybe you can dye the countertop. Never done it intentionally but I've got multiple spots of hair dye that have survived every type of cleaner and solevent on earth.

12. Etoimos

Thanks!

That might be an idea. I've got some scrap pieces from when I cut it down, I'll see what dying those do.

13. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Do the 2 part epoxy counter top! Hundreds of YouTubes on it. Stone Countertops is a big one. Leggari products does another good walk through. Plus you can use spray paint to match your colors! It would be awesome. I have some U.S. flag stencils if you want to add a ghost flag to it.

Here’s the one and only flag I made, and first attempt with epoxy. It’s easy to work with.
    63B06AE3-57D2-4C9D-90A2-41A484EA113D.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021 at 1:13 PM
  14. Etoimos

Thanks for the info Chris, I'll definitely look into that. And your flag looks pretty sweet!

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  15. Etoimos

Not a lot of physical work done since the last update, but there is some movement on the build. I placed an order for a Synergy Reef SK-60 sump this week. I'm having them make a few tweaks to it to fit my needs, but nothing major. So far the communication and interaction from them has been superb. I opted for the Red Mercury color combo to match the fish room.

I also got an update on the tank, it will be here on Sat! I've got the U-Haul rented and guys lined up to help me move it from the truck to my garage. I've not built the stand yet, so they are going to come back out once that is done... so we get to move this thing twice. Nice! lol