The right return flow for my tank

I ordered a DSA Model 225. It has 3 1" drains and 2 3/4" returns. I need to buy a return pump for it and was wondering how much pump I should buy? There are pumps that can pump back 1300 gph but I don't know it that is too much or not. Any guidance you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

I personally run low flow through my sump but 1 danner mag 18 would be just fine. You can add a ball valve to the pressure side to dial your gph in. I ran 1 mag18 on my 300 until i changed my sump layout.

I have heard that Danners were nice pumps. When it talks about head length being 16' does that mean that is as far as the pump can push water? I have a 44g can that will have my saltwater in it. It is approximately 30' from where the tank will be. Can it bush water that far to fill up my tank and do water changes? I don't want to have to pull the can out of the mechanical room.

Thats the head height. So 16-18 feet straight up is what they can do. I think 30' of lateral movement is in the acceptable range of function.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mag or Laguna Max Flo for submersible. Both will put off a bit of heat, but that is a good thing here in Colorado. They are powerful and VERY reliable.

Do you have the holes drilled? I would upgrade to 1.5" drains if it is not too late. Plumb either pump with as large of pipe/hose as you can.