1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

The155BowFrontBuild

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Sep 29, 2018.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I want to keep things going steady, keep testing and hopefully stay consistent. I want to let all the frags grow out. I'd like to add a trachy or wellso, another dream coral that I've always been too scared to try. I also need to finish parts of the stand, lol.

Rigo07 likes this.
  2. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I'll keep looking, but in the meantime I found this Instructable on wiring one on R2R....although it is for a kegarator it should be the same they say.

3. TheRealChrisBrown

I've also been looking into a peristaltic pump for the CaRx....but I quickly get wrapped up in a "if it ain't broke" mentality. In reality what I have now is working just fine, I rarely have to adjust the effluent flow as it decreases over time. But I'd say that adjustment is once every 2 weeks, and takes all of 10 seconds to complete.

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  4. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I'd go with the if it ain't broke mentality. Peristaltic pumps seem like one more moving part that can break. I like to keep things simple, but I am sure you will have some that swear by a certain brand that they have never had to maintain or adjust and it's worked perfectly for year.

5. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

If it’s working and simple leave it. “Don’t borrow trouble” one of my favorite teachers always said.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

6. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Looking good!!! I love the GSP carpet in your 40B.

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  7. TheRealChrisBrown

Whenever people want frags of it I ask them if "dollar bill sized is ok?"

8. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Looking good buddy!

9. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Looks great. I have a feeling that year two is going to be the year of explosive growth!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

10. SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a ranco if you are still looking for one.

11. TheRealChrisBrown

I am! Let me send you a pm..

12. TheRealChrisBrown

Thanks to @SeaMonkey I found some Ranco's @jda123! One is used and wired up and ready to go, the other is NIB. I think I might just set it up today and use my InkBird as a backup. I'm pretty happy to stumble into them, and should be good to go.

SynDen and jda123 like this.
  13. SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Glad I could help!

14. TheRealChrisBrown

New toy.....

IMG-3473.jpg

Haddonisreef and SynDen like this.
  15. TheRealChrisBrown

Setup was a piece of cake. I have it set to dose what my old CaRx was dripping which was 5ml/min. I've ran the calibration program 3 times and each time it was perfect. I'm about to go collect 1 minute's worth and see if it is at 5ml.

IMG-3474.JPG

I'd say that's pretty accurate...

Rigo07 and SynDen like this.
  16. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

No wonder she told you NO MORE CORALS! :)

17. TheRealChrisBrown

lol, remember.....what she doesn't know won't hurt her....!!!

Haddonisreef likes this.
  18. TheRealChrisBrown

Running 100 percent on Ranco now, in Celsius for a tighter spread in theory.

Rigo07 likes this.
  19. I was reading your thread and saw that you have a DIY algae turf scrubber. What did you use for schematics, parts and materials? Second question, what is the model number of the Ranco controller?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

20. TheRealChrisBrown

I copied the basic design from this guy on youtube. That guy has a 3 video series on his ATS, but I can't remember which one actually talks about the schematics (which I believe you can order from him for $5). But then I just sized it for the grow lights that I bought off of Amazon, these ones. I used a donor aquarium that I aquired for free because there was a crack in one of the sides, I used a cheap Home Depot glass scoring tool to get the sizes. And just used some silicone to adhere everything together. The piece of knitting plastic in the center where the algae grows on is about 10 inches by 10 inches, which is huge....but it works. I think I could always decrease the size of that mat, I might have to as the current crop of growth is a little jelly like, and less green hair algae like which is what I was getting before.

The Ranco unit that I got was the 111000, like this one.

Roxborough Reefer likes this.