Things are gonna be tight

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well only 9.5 hours till the shutdown. Sucks cause I was really looking forward to going to the swap on the 16th. Dont think I will be able to afford it now. Guess what ****es me off is that congress will still get paid. Dont get me started on the Senator from California who says she cant afford not to get paid cause she lives paycheck to paycheck. Your base salary is 174K a year...plus what ever committee your on pays you as well!!! I love the reality that some people live in. Hope everyone in the same boat has a good plan and that this doesnt last to long.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I keep hearing that Government jobs aren't 'real' jobs. They are certainly held by 'real' people, aren't they.

Good luck to all of you who are victims of political folly. They are all to blame. :(

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Feel for you and all others in the same position, sucks that they are only willing to squabble over which programs to cut, I think all politicians should be paid an average salary of all CITIZENS of the U.S., think of the millions that would be saved. I would imagine that might save a few teachers jobs, pay the people protecting their sorry **ses and light a fire to lower the unemployment rate right quick.
Of course that will never happen, as we pay taxes in every direction we move in.

Good luck heffe, Thanks for your your service.
Navy myself early 90's.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Our government is so friggn inept its pathetic. Nothing in Washington will EVER get done until they stop allowing special interest groups to fund our elected officials. Plain and simple.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;86698 said:
Military is still getting paid last I heard
Nope...starting tonight at midnight all pay will be held untill appropriations are made. We will still be required to work, but wont get paid for it till the budget is passed. In short, we will only get one weeks worth of pay on our next paychecks (April 1st thru the 8th). Then we will have to wait to get back paid...which will take the approval of congress after they decide on a budget. So I am not holding my breath.

Sucks that they have to be such drama queens over drop in the bucket programs (see everything they have cut), but they are too big of cowards to actually do anything about the things that are going to balance the long term budget (medicare, medicaide, pensions). It's the Glen Beckification of America, where fake tears and hysterics are all that matter to voters because people are too dumb to consider complex issues for anything longer than a 60 second news blurb.

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yaten13;86704 said:
people are too dumb to consider complex issues for anything longer than a 60 second news blurb.
Well put. You should see the changes to traditional English curricula because kids just cannot read an entire novel any more.

Gomojoe

Angel Fish
My wife works at the SBA in Denver and they have already told her not to come in on Monday unless otherwise told. Luckily I haven't spent my tax return yet which should help somewhat. Although I certainly didn't want to spend it as a paycheck replacement. Plus, anyone furloughed can file for unemployment if it lasts long enough. Now that things have been negotiated down to a marginal difference between them, 6.5 billion last I heard, I think it would be pretty criminal by all envolved to let the gov shut down! I think they just need to make a deal and then get cracking on the 2012 budget right away! In anycase I am pretty sure that even if it does shut down they'll have something by payday and will retroactively pay everyone like they did in '95. So hopefully it will just be a paid stressful vacation for everyone!

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought they passed a bill yesterday declaring that the military would be paid, and the only thing that would stop it would be a veto from Obama?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i'm at a loss for words except to say ...thank you all for your service, you deserve better!

SAZAMA;86713 said:
I thought they passed a bill yesterday declaring that the military would be paid, and the only thing that would stop it would be a veto from Obama?
"House Republicans passed a bill yesterday that would have funded the Department of Defense for the rest of the fiscal year. But it was tied to a short-term budget bill containing $12 billion in spending cuts that Democrats had not agreed to, as well as a policy provision that would prohibit federal or local funding paying for abortions in Washington D.C. President Obama vowed to veto it if it came across his desk." (ABC News)

That was just a one week stop gap, but because it has some of the same contentious issues being debated in the bigger bill it won't pass. If it passes the Senate it is only cause the dems want to pass the buck to the prez. I doubt they would though.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's bull**** from both sides of the table. It sucks that all our service men and women especially those over seas have to worry if their family is going to get money.

It's bull**** the republicans try to pass a bill to pay the dod till the end of the fiscal year and attach it to othrt cuts. If they were serious about trying to work harder on it. It would be just about money so they could keep the government running. But everyone has to throw politics into it. It seems like either side is actually thinking about the country

Sent from my HTC Incredible

Plus "passed" is a little short because it was only passed in the republican controlled house. Doesn't mean sh*t unless there's a compromise and something is passed in the senate. Still miles to go before anything hits obama's desk.
*sings* I'm just a bill */sing*

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Schoolhouse Rock!!

Thank you Mr Sheldon. :)

Disparaging politicians for playing politics seems a little redundant to me. Where I would see fault now is that there are opportunities to extend the deadline with a compromise on both sides. Instead though I think the Dem's and Repubs and prez are looking at the shutdown as a possible opportunity to win there way. I think the repubs should accept the gains they made in this round and work on further issues in the 2012 budget.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I guess I am glad my brother got back from Iraq this week. At least he won't be in combat for free. He and every other service man and woman deserve far better from the people that send them to war. Every furloughed government employee should file for unemployment on Monday. Maybe that will kick our joke of elected leaders into action.

Unfortunately our system is broken by design. Nothing happens that they don't want to happen. All our elected officials show up for is their own pay raises. And until elected officials are paid the median income of the people they represent and lobbying is made an act of treason punishable by death. Nothing will change!

Gomojoe;86725 said:
Instead though I think the Dem's and Repubs and prez are looking at the shutdown as a possible opportunity to win there way.
Exactly. I think that each is just going to let it happen because each is planning on the other side taking the blame for it.

Gomojoe;86725 said:
Disparaging politicians for playing politics seems a little redundant to me
It's not the politicians to blame so much as the people. Be informed and hold them to what they DO, not what they SAY. If you are dumb enough to buy the narrative, then I guess you get what you paid for, and you deserve the politicians you get.

/rant off
But yeah, I wish they would just get back to handing out money to their favorite constituents and let the rest of us get back to work.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well looks like a deal has finally been struck. A big weight has been lifted off alot of peoples shoulders. I know I for one am happy, and feel alot better about things now.