1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Thinking of adding another clownfish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by neil82, Aug 26, 2018.

1. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

I took your advice and picked up a 4.5 inch diameter by 28 inch long tube from Colorado plastics. $43 investment, but what the heck, it's worth a shot. I'll make the tube available to club members so it can get some use. I'm going to give this experiment a shot this evening.

2. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Dang, pricey. Keep us updated please.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

3. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Oh man, I'm so nervous! Keep us posted!!

SynDen and neil82 like this.
  4. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Dont forget to perforate the tube or you can potentially suffocate the clown.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

neil82 likes this.
  5. neil82

Finished up with family stuff and went to look at the tank. The anemones are partially closed up and tentacles are deflated. I'm going to postpone until tomorrow. I have a water change mixing and I'm going to do a 15 gallon change since that typically gets the anemones opened up big and bubble tips fully inflated. Then I'll put the fish down the slide. I'm having a coffee porter and taking some zoa pictures to pass the time.

Haddonisreef and SynDen like this.
  6. neil82

7. neil82

8. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

9. neil82

I think these are KH sunburst.

SkyShark likes this.
  10. neil82

Here we go!

Attached Files:

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  11. neil82

The wrasse wanted in to check things out.

Attached Files:

12. neil82

The wrasse found way back out. Still no contact between clownfish and anemone. But getting close.

13. neil82

Had to run out for an appointment, but had the clownfish in tube for 30-45 minutes. She didn't ever go into the anemone though.

14. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Dang, was hoping it was a quick answer

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

15. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

In the video, didn't he add more water from the top with a pitcher? That made a small current and encouraged the clown towards the nem? Keep at it, hopefully persistence will pay off!

16. neil82

I think you're right about that. I'm going to try again here in a few.

17. neil82

I tried again with pouring water down the tube, but no luck. The current from pouring the water wasn't enough to push the clownfish down to the anemone. Back to the drawing board!

18. TheRealChrisBrown

Oh man! Has she shown aggression toward the smaller one? Maybe goal #1 is get both fish in and happy.....goal #2 get them hosting?

19. neil82

The agression level seems about the same as before isolating her. It's not too bad, but can't imagine it's helpful in getting them to pair up. We'll see how things go.

20. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

They are always pretty aggressive at first. She is asserting her authority over him, but eventually they calm down and settle in together

neil82 likes this.