This hobby sucks and I hate my tank!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well, I don't really think that of course but have had my share of problems. Most are due to lack of maintenance. No matter how much you spend on equipment or livestock I've noticed several things that you just can not ignore or you'll have bad luck. I see it on forums all the time. I'm hoping people will let everyone know maintenance schedule, testing regime and the top few things to watch for before you have a problem. Listing preferred perms and why would be interesting too. Also a full tank shot here or bumping that thread would be great too. Also, how long in he hobby?

I'm an old timer, mostly in since the early 90's. I really only test for alk regularly and like it to sit around 160 ppm on my Hannah. Halides for 4 hours a day and bulbs changed every 18-24 months. Led and t5 supplementation. I have a calcium reactor and do no other supplements accept a 10 gallon water change weekly.

Tips for success

1. Good water: RO system with pre and post filters changed about once a year, and DI every 6-9 months

2. Weekly water changes

3. Clean circulation pumps every month

4.. Clean return pump and skimmer every 2 months (dumping ski mate every week)

5. Look at the tank every day! Clean the glass with a magnet scrapper a few times a week (tinker and enjoy and you'll notice stuff that's gone south before it's too late) something is ALWAYS about to go wrong, going wrong or recovering. If you remember that you'll not freak out and make your spouse hate the hobby (lesson well learned and too late to come back from! Lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great tips! I would add that you should keep a calendar (digital or physical) to track water changes and other tasks. You would be surprised how far apart your every two week water change can get! I know I am guilty of that and having a calendar helps keep me on track.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SkyShark;673259 said:
Great tips! I would add that you should keep a calendar (digital or physical) to track water changes and other tasks. You would be surprised how far apart your every two week water change can get! I know I am guilty of that and having a calendar helps keep me on track.
I use the aquariummate app although others exist. It gives reminders and tracks stuff nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk