Time to start applying for coral permits....

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i really dont think the "coral police" will be knocking on your door.... unless of course you let them know you have an endangered species...then they may come to see what else they can fine ya for....

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That bulletin was from November of last year, and last update was in April. Considering how far that's gotten up to this point...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I say screw em and reef away!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is one of these every few years since I got into the hobby a long time ago. It won't likely go anywhere.

Even if it does, somebody could still culture any of those corals for import.

Here before long, I will have tons of Microlados to give back to the pacific.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will be starting a petition here in a while to have the bill reworked to exclude the aquaculture trade as it is a benefit to the world and eventually lead to repopulating reefs. Stay tuned to this thread for the petition link.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Email I sent:

Hello,

So with the up and coming endangered and threatened lists, how are reef keepers like my self supposed to be able to keep out reef tanks? I personally know I have 90% of the proposed threatened and all of the proposed endangered corals in my reef tank since 2006. What steps will we have to take to be able to keep our reef tanks and keep trading corals like we currently do in the hobby?

Thanks,
Seth Solomon

Response:
Mr. Solomon,
I was forwarded your message. I am the lead biologist in the Southeast Region working on the proposed listing of the 68 corals. Your question is very pertinent and we have received several like it.

The Endangered Species Act Section 9(b)(1) allows for maintaining in captivity any specimens which were held prior to the listing. So all the corals that you have in your possession on the date of the final rule are not subject to any of the prohibitions of the ESA provided that such holding or use is not in the course of commercial activity. So that covers the first part of your question - you will be able the "keep" your reef tanks. To the second part of your question about trading, again the exception for specimens held in captivity at the time of listing only applies to non-commercial activities. So you need to determine if your "trading" is a commercial activity (i.e., money is involved). If you are just swapping frags with other hobbiests and there is no commercial activity, that is allowed under this exception. The last point is that it is up to the holder to document that the specimens were held in captivity at the time of listing. So it is in your best interest to document in some way what you have in your possession prior to the listing. This can be something like a date-stamped photo, invoices for receipt of the original specimens, etc. Then if you are trading any of the specimens, you should include a copy of that documentation and a statement that you are giving the specimens to another individual to insure the new holder has the proper documentation.

I know that this is confusing and that it may be some cause for concern, but please know that we understand and are trying to provide the appropriate guidance given that the proposed listing may affect many people who have private reef tanks. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Jennifer

--
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Jennifer Moore
ESA Coral Coordinator | Protected Resources Division
NOAA Fisheries Service
263 13th Ave South
Saint Petersburg, FL 33701
727-551-5797 phone | 727-824-5309 fax
jennifer.moore@noaa.gov

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/acropora.htm
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/esa/82CoralSpecies.htm[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

To those who sacrificed careers of adventure in the wide-open spaces to wrestle for conservation in the policy arena.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;268228 said:
blah... now jennifer knows where to send the coral police....
Yeah, and now he's gonna rat the rest of us out to them so he can keep his corals.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The instigation needs to stop. Fred and Cindy.

On other notes:
Good news.
The decision was postponed again till June 7th 2014. There was enough emails sent out in the last week, when this was posted on R2R and reef Central. They has also redefined threatened to allow the continuous trade and sales of aquacultured corals. While still stopping the wild harvesting of said corals.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's awesome I know that exotic pet owners go threw this all the time as well. The important part is to progress the hobby and not let a few bad apples ruin or ability to buy and sell coral. My opinion has always been to leave the hobbyists alone and go after the people who collect these spiecies and hold them accountable for the way they collect coral. Keep is updated if you still nees signatures.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;268231 said:
The instigation needs to stop. Fred and Cindy.

On other notes:
Good news.
The decision was postponed again till June 7th 2014. There was enough emails sent out in the last week, when this was posted on R2R and reef Central. They has also redefined threatened to allow the continuous trade and sales of aquacultured corals. While still stopping the wild harvesting of said corals.
Some may hate me for saying this, but honestly if they are going to restrict wild collection and allow the continued aquaculturing of corals for commercial sale, then I'm completely fine with their proposal.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;268318 said:
Some may hate me for saying this, but honestly if they are going to restrict wild collection and allow the continued aquaculturing of corals for commercial sale, then I'm completely fine with their proposal.
Yah I don't mind the changes either. But before, it was all threatened corals and all endangered corals could not be sold commercially. which would have destroyed a huge chunk of the hobby.