Tiny white bugs on frogspawn coral

I have some frogspawn which has some tiny white 'bugs' on it that are irritating the coral so that it will not fully extend. How can I remove these without aversely affecting the coral and without buying a natural predator. I only have a 14 gallon BioCube, so another fish is out of the question.

I read that a heart worm medication called Interceptor might do the job, but I do not own a dog and cannot get a prescription for it. Can this be a solution to my problem? If so, how do I get my hands on some Interceptor?

View attachment 1963

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interceptor is used to treat red bugs, which are parasitic to several species of SPS corals. Im not sure what is irritating your frogspawn, but i would take it out and and do an iodine dip

I have been reading on some other forums that an iodine dip will not help, but that I should try Coral RX or Coral ReVive. I will see if I can find one of these and give it a shot.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like a good plan. Remember to shake it in another cup after you dip to try and dislodge as many of the little bugs as possible.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Or FW dip

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That works as well, just make sure that the pH and temperature is very close. To me its more trouble to get the pH right than to use a coral dip, but to each is own!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dont worry about PH, just temp. At least thats what I do no problems

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interceptor is toxic to all shrimp. I nuked my entire pod base treating for red bugs and it has yet to fully recover. I would try everything I could to avoid doing it again, but three treatments about two weeks apart will do the job. I don't remember the procedure, but I am sure I can find it if you need.

hooked

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
S.C.M.A.S BOD
How long has the frogspawn been closed. Sometimes corals will just close up for a couple of days. The white bugs could be pods. They may not be causing irritation. Just visible because of the coral closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Typically white bugs = ok

red or Yellow bugs = Bad

IME

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have interceptor, let me know. you can always mix one salfert baby spoon per gallon and dip anything you want.

The frogspawn has been closed for about a two weeks now. I first didn't take any action, but after three days, I decided to do a 30% water change. It didn't help, so I did another two days later. Still no response. Last night I decided to do a closer inspection and that is when I noticed the bugs. I also have a video of the bugs crawling around on the polyp. In the 40 sec video, I can see about six of them on the same polyp. What was really vexing was that I have other polyps from the same colony about two inches away that aren't affected at all. Upon close inspection, I don't see any bugs on the polyps that are fully extended. It's like watching lice on a plant.

In case anyone is interested, here is a closer look at the critters. I don't think the frogspawn is dying, just irritated. All of the ones that don't have the bugs are fully extended. Would you consider these white?

[attachment=59661:name]

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Henc;88064 said:
The frogspawn has been closed for about a two weeks now. I first didn't take any action, but after three days, I decided to do a 30% water change. It didn't help, so I did another two days later. Still no response. Last night I decided to do a closer inspection and that is when I noticed the bugs. I also have a video of the bugs crawling around on the polyp. In the 40 sec video, I can see about six of them on the same polyp. What was really vexing was that I have other polyps from the same colony about two inches away that aren't affected at all. Upon close inspection, I don't see any bugs on the polyps that are fully extended. It's like watching lice on a plant.
Why don't you post the video?

68RUSTANG

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's hard to tell in the photo, could they be snails?

Can you pluck one off and get a closer look through a magnifying glass?

They kind of look like pyramidellid snails that I have found bugging clams.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would opt for FW dip

68RUSTANG

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Snails on crack...............

How big is the coral?

If it's not to large, I'd dip it either with Revive, or just freshwater.