Torch's harder than I knew?

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
For some reason since my move, Torch corals not doing well. Within few days of the move, one of my torches melted away. My frogspawn, 2 hammers, and a purple torch have been fine.

Replaced it with a nice thick big head from great white. And now 2-3 weeks later, it also just suddenly shriveled up and began melting away. Other's including all purple torch are fine.

First one was I imagine just shock of the move, amazed I didnt lose more.

Second one, I'm stumped as everything else seems fine, one new little sps frag which is receeding a bit. The ***** maroon daddy started to host in it part time and was knocking any corals over near it. Once it started looking sickly I'd move it up a couple inches on a rock for more light/flow. And the clown now liking the frogspawn more or for whatever reason decided it hated the torch and started pushing it over, so I ended up having to move it elsewhere where it finished receeding.

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

If it starts looking sickly, try a lower flow and light. Most lps don't like a lot of light. If u wanna move it to a different spot afterwards, move it up and into flow slowly. Plus the clown hosting it could have irritated it as well as you.. Lol. This is just my experience with torches.

David

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Usually think that, but it was already in about as low flow and fairly low light compared to rest of tank. The rock I moved it to was right next to it about 2 inches up so not much different. Tank is still cram full while waiting for electrician so I can get 125 running.

That troublesome clown has me thinking of just doing a nem/clam tank and putting them in there alone so the normal tank doesn't face constant hazing by the punk. (That's current dillema, 30, 40B, and 55L, how to split them up w/ one being a mantis tank and what to use a 2nd for if anything.)

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Fitz19d;254826 said:
Usually think that, but it was already in about as low flow and fairly low light compared to rest of tank. The rock I moved it to was right next to it about 2 inches up so not much different. Tank is still cram full while waiting for electrician so I can get 125 running.

That troublesome clown has me thinking of just doing a nem/clam tank and putting them in there alone so the normal tank doesn't face constant hazing by the punk. (That's current dillema, 30, 40B, and 55L, how to split them up w/ one being a mantis tank and what to use a 2nd for if anything.)
Depending on how big the corals are, I'd say dedicate one straight to corals, maybe the 40B. Use the 55 for the "punk" and nem's. Could always put the clams with the corals until the 125 is set up.

David

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Torch's harder than I knew?

Chemical warfare between torches? Torches are notorious for ruthless sweeper tentacles stretching 12"+.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry, meant after I get everything in the 125. 125 would be mixed reef leaving me with all those spare tanks. I'd struggled with idea of mantis in 55 as it seemed wasted space. Was planning some damsels + the urchin it leaves alone. But since I grabbed 40b on sale for $40, thinking 40 for him and using the 55 or 30 for something else. (Nems I figure since too many and my mixed reef might get all stung up. Unsure if 30g would do well, though I'd plumb it w/ mantis and sump for large volume. Maybe perfect for couple rose, a green, and a lemon.) Also fighting having stand space, esp if I want to plumb things toghether, have issue that ending up w/ a lot of same height which makes overflows hard.

kio707;254829 said:
Depending on how big the corals are, I'd say dedicate one straight to corals, maybe the 40B. Use the 55 for the "punk" and nem's. Could always put the clams with the corals until the 125 is set up.

David

I don't think it was warfare, the purple torch no where near it and smaller. It was near some green pally's was it. Frogspawn up on a big rock above it dividing it off from the other torch. (My euphyllia all seem to get along, thought they were supposed to.)