1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Tree of life pico aquaponics build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tanks' started by SynDen, Jul 11, 2018.

1. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

Will do!
    Nobody hold their breath, tho, cuz it's gonna take some time to gather the driftwood and get it all put together. Nothing happens fast in Mexico. LOL

2. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

What really in the flesh! Hope things are great!! haha ~cheers

3. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

Hola! Yep, things definitely don't suck down here. Just not enough time to do everything we wanna do. LOL

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Made a little progress on the scape. Just gotta settle a bit. Next, I need to wire the light, add an airstone, and then plants
    Plant list
    Satin pothos
    Creeping fig
    Witch's moss
    Mini lotus (if I can find one)
    Water Sprite
    Baby tears
    Dwarf grass
    Java moss
    1532877500466.jpg 1532877520238.jpg 1532877556857.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

SkyShark likes this.
  5. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

Is there other substrate under that rubble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

No it's just a dark pea gravel I had a bag of from some landscaping project. Had thought to use another substrate, but just opted to make do with what I had

7. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Looking great!

What's your plan for filtration?

8. SynDen

The plants are the filters. Just putting and small air stone for aeration but otherwise it's all on the plants for this one

Balz3352 likes this.
  9. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Are you going to add fish to keep CO2 and nutrient levels where they need to be or are you gonna CO2 and fertilizer dose?

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

10. SynDen

Ya will be small neon tetras and maybe another small fish or two, plus some cherry and blue dwarf shimp. The fish will do all fertilizing. Very low-tech

11. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

What kind of tree is that in the corner? I've been wanting some cool house plants like that.

12. SynDen

It's a diaffenbachia, or something like that. It's actually a plant my grandmother gave me a sprig of. Everyone in my family has one lol, and have for several generations now

13. kchristensen8064

kchristensen8064 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

That's cool. It's a cool looking tree

14. SynDen

Added some plants. Couldn't find all the ones I wanted so went with some alternatives. I made little brackets to hold the plants out of egg crate and some tubing clips. Plants I ended up with
    Golden pothos
    Water hychinthia
    Algerian ivy
    Anthurium
    Will add some fish later this week once my new air pump gets here, and need a new bulb for the light. Got it all wired up, but wouldnt turn on. Finally, after going over my wiring job several times, I looked at the bulb and saw it was fubar. So gotta go hunt one of those down today. 1533157618220.jpg 1533157633492.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  15. SynDen

Finally got a new bulb for the light and the tank is alive and populated now.
    Wife decided she like dwarf frogs better, so put 2 frogs, 6 neons, and some ghost shrimp 1533582006197.jpg 1533582034304.jpg 1533582074282.jpg

TheRealChrisBrown and neil82 like this.
  16. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Looks awesome! Went pretty quick! Will you need to run co2 or no? As I write that I realize the plants are out of water but still curious...

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

17. SynDen

Thanks, and no shouldnt need CO2, I didnt put any plants in the water that would need that. Both Java moss and the dwarf hair grass will grow fine without it

18. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

Cool! Is the water going he clear up at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. SynDen

The water is clear, but the coloring of the water is the tannins from the woods in the water. All 'driftwood' will color the water like that, to some degree, and is the reason most fresh water lakes, and ponds are darkly colored. Carbon will clear it up, but then I would have to run a filter on it. It wont harm the inhabitants at all, so I wont worry about it either.

20. Lmmchops

Lmmchops Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member