Trouble with a maxima clam

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
So after 2 weeks my 4 inch maxima clam was doing great. Today when I came home it was receded into the shell and looked a little shriveled. When I took him out of the tank he did not close. Does anyone think it might be dead. I immediately brought it to a friends house with a very established tank. Checked my parameters ph 8.2 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 not sure what's up.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agree with Mike. If it doesn't react (close) when u touch it, the prognosis isn't good.

Do you have other clams and if so, how do they look? Pinched mantle is a disease caused by a protozoan that can quickly decimate collection of clams.

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
I guess I'll find out tonight I agree he wouldn't close when I took him out of the water. Not good, this sucks because the flame was perfect in the morning. Then at night it looked like crap. I keep you guys posted.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really hope its not pinched mantle. I just had PM wipe out all my clams but one about a month or so ago :( It was pretty sad to have to just sit there and watch them all die. They were all attached to a shelf which is a foundation of my reef. Needless to say Reefkoi had some cool little clam mounts which I bought at reefstock and I will place the clams on these for future purchases.

You can do a freshwater dip (I believe 15 minutes but research it first my time might be off!) just make sure the temp is the same before dunking the clam. If its not responding to touch or light though it is probably too late. I will be freshwater dipping all my new clams before placing them in my DT.

Good luck!

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep. Lost a 10 yr old 8" maxima because I neglected to fw dip a new clam. Insidious little protozoan. Clam mounts are a great idea.