Trying to run Hypo? Wrong Treatment? Open to advice,looking for a few tools

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
For whatever reason today the blue head wrasse is attacking my big trigger. Turned the lights off to see if he returns to normal tommorow. Maybe just leave them off for a few days anyways as I'm getting new tank cyano now. He's been looking a bit hazy/white from I'm hoping the ick he got from smaller deceased trigger in my other thread. A couple others looking a bit off and seems like some other fishes behaviors a little off too.

Kinda hoping it's ick and not velvet. Given how long the issue has been in the tank, I figure velvet would have caused more casualties.

So I want to just try and bite the bullet now and try and rid the tank of it and heal the fish. If nothing else don't want to risk losing the tusk even if he continues to make new kills (Found the sand sifting star torn up, thought it was safe from him)

Ideally I'd do TTM then just hold in QT tanks, but even with a few tanks available, I'm having a hard time imagining doing it successfully with 10 fish including a few large ones. (I have a 60g, 50g, 40g, 29g, and a 150g acrlic that is too risky to fill but I could probably safely do 50-60g at least.) My big fear is wrasses jumping and the tusk did not tolerate the trigger in with him in the 50g QT in the past. (But he'd been in there a while so may have been extra territorial.)

So thinking safest bet is 2 tanks (and maybe the tusk in the 29g solo) and run the hypo via this guide. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2300497

It states hypo will kill some but not all of your bacterial filter. Thinking I'd run airstones in the tanks with power head/heater. Get some pvc for hidey holes. (or I do have spare sump live rock I can sacrifice) I was kinda strongly thinking I should use my big marine pure blocks for their usually immense bacterial load. When done with hypo/QT I could sanitize and dry them before recycling. to reuse later.

Catching the fish is going to be fun, have a 8 inch cheapo net coming from brs with a ph probe for the Cerebra I just got. But I suspect I'm going to have to try fish traps for the first time. Even if I remove a bunch of rock and coral the dimensions esp with hood of this 300g makes catching by net pretty difficult.