1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

ULM cubicle reef

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by mebeknob, Sep 4, 2018.

1. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Added a , 2 s, and a simple coral
    Finally pulled out the camera

2. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Looks great!

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  3. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

Finally got some time to work on the stand
    [​IMG]

This was the initial plan.
    [​IMG]

But I decided to make it a little different. I kept the ply flat because I found some nice looking dark grained Baltic birch. I didn’t want to hide.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mitres were a pain with how thick this was... but got it sorted.

[​IMG]
    Decided on a chevron style door
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I can finally get it done and in the office!
    This weekend I’m taking the LSAT though so tell have to wait till next weekend to move into the office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil82 and SynDen like this.
  4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Very nice. That is a lot of cutting for that piece, but turned out great

5. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

That looks fantastic!

6. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

It will be the cabinet door! I hope it’ll add a nice touch. It def looks like it took a ton of cuts... but it’s all ply wood so it was way less than you might think.

Haddonisreef likes this.
  7. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally getting a little closer!

SynDen and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  8. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I really like it! Strong work!!

mebeknob likes this.
  9. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

You can’t really see them but I reinforced the mitres with 1” dowels. Lol this thing can probably hold a Prius

10. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

Also finally got rid of the artfully acrylic lid. Thing was horrible. I actually like the look of the IM pro lid
    [​IMG]

Finally getting closer to actually putting this in the office! I’m tired of the science experiment looking area around the tank.

11. halmus

halmus Cuttle Fish Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

I love what you did with the stand and doors! Really cool design. I had to look at the stand for a while before I figured out it was solid plywood laminated together. Nicely done.

12. SkyShark

Great idea capping the rear chambers. Really nice touch. I may have to do something like that with mine. Easy enough to have a gap along the back side for cords, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

13. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

Yeah I really don’t like the look of the open chambers. I’ll see how the walnut holds up over time. I’ll probably have to recoat it eventually.

14. SkyShark

I meant to ask, what’d you seal it with?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

15. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

I just did a couple of coats of wipe on poly.

SkyShark likes this.
  16. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

[​IMG]
    Final coat! It’s shines now but will go satin.
    Blew out the corner of the door when mounting it so hopefully the glue job will fix it.

SkyShark and SynDen like this.
  17. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

[​IMG]

Done!

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  18. mebeknob

mebeknob Copepod

[​IMG]

19. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

It looks so good! Nice work, really nice work!!

20. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Love love love this build! The stand is awesome. Who cares if you need to do some maintenance every several months. Worth it if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

mebeknob likes this.