Ultimate Propagation tool!!!!!!

keysisland

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Hi everyone,

Paul here with Keys Island and with how many corals i tend to frag i have learned that a dremel tool does not like saltwater so i was curious and started searching for other options. Wondering if anyone else has seen this concept idea that i believe is a concept idea for boats. This could have so many versatile options in our hobby. You could even ziptie a siphon tube to it and even frag corals in an established running tank.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Dremel-Waterproof/1508613

I know if they were available and not a concept i would have one ASAP!!!!! And I'm sure they would probably sell as much if not more in our hobby then for boating

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only issue I see is that the dremel motor uses carbon brushes...debris is expelled while the dremel is running, and even then needs to be cleaned fairly regularly. If everything is sealed up and water-tight...it would probably need to be cleaned on a very regular basis.

Pretty cool concept though! I played around with trying to waterproof one of those dremel flex extension tools a while back; I was able to guard the flex extension and main shaft, but it was next to impossible to DIY a functional seal where the bit attaches. It eventually failed after about a year of use...and I was only spraying water onto the metal to keep heat down while cutting. :(

keysisland

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
you have a valid point in that case I would say that it would need to be cleaned after every use but with that said i would rather clean after every use then have to replace every six months to a year because it has broken or it is shocking you

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I still think it's a great idea. It wouldn't take more than a couple screws for a "cleaning window" sealed by a rubber gasket to make regular cleaning easy.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's considered this before. ;) I cut a finger off a nitrile glove and stick the end of the dremel through there when I use it to frag corals. It keeps most of the crap out of the motor...I think. I obviously don't do nearly as much fragging as you do, but it's seemed to work well for now.