Wanted: Old algae scrapers

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im hoping someone has an old magnetic algae scrapper laying around they wouldnt mind giving to me. It doesnt need to work, i just want the magnets in it.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, i had one that hung off the side, but i no longer have a place on the back or sides for one and i dont want to make a huge thing that is right in the front. Plus its a whole lot easier to acclimate new corals if you just have to move the magnet up a few inches.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Grab some magnets from Hobby Lobby and coat them in 5 minute two part epoxy.

I don't think they sell strong enough magnets at hobby lobby. Do they?

I've bought some magnets from KJmagnetics for my acrylic probe holder. Great magnets but shipping is outrageous for something that weighs nothing.

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nope, hobby lobby doesnt have strong enough ones. And buying them online for what they cost + shipping was just silly to do it on my own.

Zooid - id love to do a group buy if those magnets are strong enough.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an old one that I do not use. It's yours for the low low price of free...

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have similar magnets to the ones in the link. I'll bring a couple of them to the swap and you can decide if they are strong enough :D
Mine don't have a coating but they should be similar. Just be careful because you can draw blood with these things if you aren't careful.
I have two sets holding up a pretty heavy frag rack. I built them with 1/8" acrylic between the magnet and glass on both sides and they
have no problem holding it up. I think the plastic coated magnets will probably be even stronger because there will be less material between
the poles.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I shall be there...

I'm a tall fat brown guy, can't miss me...

Zooid;87461 said:
I have similar magnets to the ones in the link. I'll bring a couple of them to the swap and you can decide if they are strong enough :D
lol I used the 1/2" x 1/4" for my probe holder rack, and yeah I think your magnets will be strong enough.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member