Watermelon Chalice

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I got a watermelon chalice from the frag swap and I am not sure whether to be completely dissapointed or not. Is this really a watermelon?

This is the frag I got. I photoshopped the hell out of it btw

This is what I expected

Is the lack of pink coloring just cause it was fragged near the edge of a colony or will it eventually get the pink color of a real watermelon?

I did see another type that is still marketed as a watermelon, but I don't think is really a watermelon. Is this what we got in the swap?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

romebaby

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Watermelon & red watermelon (2nd pic), 2 different chalices, way different prices. If it wasn't marked as a red watermelon it probably isn't.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That makes sense. So the last picture is a normal watermelon and the second pic is a red watermelon?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was the complete opposite. The Watermelon was by far my best snag from what I see so far.

So this is what I was expecting:

and this is what came in

Color is not as vivid (pun intended) but that's to be expected in a new environment. The watermelon was healthy, has 6 eyes (Gigantically huge by DBTC standards) and I can see the pink pigments - Point is I can tell it's a watermelon . The bubblegum mili I got looks nowhere close to what I was expecting. First, it looks like an acro, not a mil. Second, it is completely brown, no color - let alone pink/red base with blue tips. Third, it has a big bleach spots at the base so it doesn't appear to be a healthy coral to begin with. Next to the the bubblegum you can see the pink mili. First, you can tell it's a mili. Second, there is pink pigment. Third, this little guy went throgh a lot and kind of took a beating, but still has color.

This pic has a bit more coral in the shot, and you can see the pink pally (not sure of the name and wasn't from DBTC,) put there since all three have pink and this is a good ref. Also, to the far left you can see Bam Bam, which I got from the DBTC, again for color ref.

I think the Pink Mili, and Watermelon are spot on. The Bubblegum for me is way off. So 2 out of 3 is a still a win in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The frag I got definitely has pink in it. I was going to make a post thanking the person that donated 9 sizeable chunks of that chalice....watermelon or not, it's a VERY nice piece. And...everyone went home with free coral at the end of the day.

Aside from the transportation stress...keep in mind that some corals were IDd on the spot, in their cups, under ambient lighting. We get a description from the individual that brought the item, and do the best we can to make a positive ID...there were times where we "polled" 4-5 people to try to get a positive ID on an unknown coral.

That being said...if something you took home wasn't as expected...it can always go back into the dbtc program. The sole purpose of the event isn't to obtain free coral in exchange for your frags. We put this together to promote sustainable reefing....if anybody suffers a crash your corals are hopefully spread around the club and another frag can be obtained when you are ready to rebuild. Of course it's always exciting to bring home hot new frags...and everyone loves to hear their number called and pick something off the list...but it's the generosity of everyone involved that makes the event a success.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine has 7 eyes, mostly blue body and pinkish hues coming in with greenish yellow eyes. A beautiful chalice. Thanks to whomever brought them!!!

[attachment=66816:name]

Ok, my only beef is with the hair algae that floated by and photo-bombed my chalice.

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;308874 said:
Mine has 7 eyes, mostly blue body and pinkish hues coming in with greenish yellow eyes. A beautiful chalice. I'm not complaining, thanks whomever brought!!!

View attachment 19200

Ok, my only beef is with the hair algae that floated by and photo-bombed my chalice.
This looks like an alien eye chalice IMO

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The cup said FlyrodTodd and I sent him a big thank you. I love getting new corals and like Khalis said - the swap is about promote sustainable reefing...

Hope it didn't sound like I was bit@hen, as I wasn't. It's all good in my book.

BTW, I found NO pests upon dipping and inspection. Just to be safe I replaced all the frag plugs. This was the first DBTC I didn't see any bad bugs. That's a great thing.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;308879 said:
The cup said FlyrodTodd and I sent him a big thank you. I love getting new corals and like Khalis said - the swap is about promote sustainable reefing...

Hope it didn't sound like I was bit@hen, as I wasn't. It's all good in my book.

BTW, I found NO pests upon dipping and inspection. Just to be safe I replaced all the frag plugs. This was the first DBTC I didn't see any bad bugs. That's a great thing.
Nah you're good Dave :)

My post wasn't directed toward you or anyone in particular. Just wanted to throw that out there for anybody that came across the thread and was new to the program. We had a ton of new members there, and it was a good turnout...I just like to see the program continue to grow and thrive :)

Thanks for pointing out who the member was that brought the chalice frags! THANKS FlyrodTodd !!!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did love the size of the watermelon. Just never seen one in person and misunderstood what they were supposed to look like. After today it is starting to show a little bit of pink, which is awesome by the way.

Dave: keep me updated on the pink mille that I put in. It went through a ton of stress getting seperated from the rock it was glued to and I can always cut another if it doesnt make it. Looks to be doing good in the pic tho.