What can I grow?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello marinecolorado world,

I am getting a 2x96w pc light for free off of Craigslist, and I figured being that this is my first saltwater tank, I will start with a pc fixture.

My question is, what can I grow with it? I believe it has 10,000k bulbs in it

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
If it was free then the price was right. And I agree softies and zoas and most lps. Maybe sps in the top few inches but most likely no sps.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
most sps will be fine under pc's in the top half of the tank if you have new bulbs ...ive done it
i assume the bulbs are new since it was free so get some new ones

i wouldn't stick a $100 sps frag in there but most will ok just start out with inexpensive/easy (ie. monti's, green slimer etc.) ones and see where they work best

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
My main concern is the amount of power going into my 30 gallon tank. Is a 2x96w pc lighting setup way overkill? Like will it bleach out my corals?

Because I am willing to hang it up a bit just so it doesn't kill anything in there.

Basically I'm concerned with my corals getting bleached when I put them in there.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i highly doubt you have to worry about bleaching ...if you look at the other comments most people said you cant even keep sps ( i disagree) i doubt bleaching will be and issue ...your just going to have to play around with it though and see what is the best placement for the corals and light unless you have access to a par meter

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright I appreciate all the help on this. My next question is should I hang the light up off the tank a bit or just set it on top?

Also, are those corals available on a fourm such as dbtc?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would just set it right on top (with caution) if you don't have legs ...those ballasts pack quite a punch so dont let it fall in :)

you should be able to find some easy sps on dbtc but they are generally cheap corals so you might start a thread asking to buy easy sps and i bet someone could hook you up with some good prices ...maybe pm DyM he might have some cheap orange digitata for you

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was running 2 x 400 watt MH over my old 55 2 x 96 PC is no where near to much.

matt.radich;131887 said:
My main concern is the amount of power going into my 30 gallon tank. Is a 2x96w pc lighting setup way overkill? Like will it bleach out my corals?

Because I am willing to hang it up a bit just so it doesn't kill anything in there.

Basically I'm concerned with my corals getting bleached when I put them in there.