What is this

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry for the pics... It appears to be a nudi of some kind... But it's pretty dull in color, not bright like zoa eating ones.

It climbed right out of some zoas I was fragging. My zoas are all happy though, I don't have any that are closed up or anything...

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm no expert...but that definitely looks like a nudi to me.

I'd start checking around the rest of your colonies for eggs, and it'd probably be a good idea to dip what you can before it gets out of hand. In most of the pics online that I've seen of them...they're that white-tan color until they mature and have been snacking on polyps for some time. You probably caught that one fairly early...I'd try to knock them out before you DO start seeing annoyed polyps.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well... Every zoa frag I own just got dipped in coral rx. There were 2 small colonies on big rocks that I couldn't dip, but I thoroughly inspected and didn't see anything. Guess that my lesson in dipping ALL corals!! No matter what source!!

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;203255 said:
Guess that my lesson in dipping ALL corals!! No matter what source!!
Yep. Even if I trust the person and know their tank is pest free I still dip. There is no downside really.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;203256 said:
Yep. Even if I trust the person and know their tank is pest free I still dip. There is no downside really.
+1. I've only ever seen pods come scurrying off my frags, but I dip everything no matter what.

And yea, definitely hard to say if that's a zoa-eating type, but better safe than sorry.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would bet that they are zoa-eating nudi's, which are a PITA, and coral RX will not kill. The only thing I am aware that kills them is a super high dose of FWE (4x-5x times the normal dose), and speaking from experience, everything else in your tank doesn't like FWE at such high doses. FWE also does not kill the eggs, so it takes multiple doses to rid your tank of them.

Without being too rude here, may I ask if you are going to be at the DBTC meeting on Sat? If so, I think it would be a good idea for the club to donate some frags to you, and not ask you to bring any from your tank.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
asneiman;203270 said:
I would bet that they are zoa-eating nudi's, which are a PITA, and coral RX will not kill. The only thing I am aware that kills them is a super high dose of FWE (4x-5x times the normal dose), and speaking from experience, everything else in your tank doesn't like FWE at such high doses. FWE also does not kill the eggs, so it takes multiple doses to rid your tank of them.

Without being too rude here, may I ask if you are going to be at the DBTC meeting on Sat? If so, I think it would be a good idea for the club to donate some frags to you, and not ask you to bring any from your tank.
According to the coral Rx bottle, it does kill them... I put the one I captured in the coral rx water after I was done dipping and it died immediately. What is FWE?
I had planned on attending Saturday with several frags, but I guess now I'm not... That was actually my next question. I don't want to spread this any further, considering this is probably how I got it...

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FWE = Flat Worm Exit.

Sorry if my last post came across off-tone. I was at last years DBTC meeting, where I acquired Zoa eating Nudi's, and dipped everything in Coral RX. I did not inspect for eggs (my fault), nor did I inspect the frags for critters (again, my fault), but within a week I found a large adult in my tank, and fought them for a while, ended up killing all of them, but after 6 months my tank never came back, and I ended up trashing my tank and started from scratch.

From my experience, even if you get the adults, there are probably eggs in your tank (which I found), and nothing kills the eggs. They are white, and are laid in a spiral.

From last years meeting, those who showed up without any frags, were given tickets during the swap, and walked away with corals. I do not for sure if I am going to make it, but if I do, I will give you some of my tix too.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No offense taken here! I'm just as livid as I can be right now... I couldn't in good conscience participate next Saturday. But it also kinda tells me not to take any either, if they are offered... I've already lost a few battles to pests.
Thank you for your help... I've got some research to do about these things...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Asneiman (or anyone for that matter): did you try malachite green dip? My research has led me to that several times and a few very respectable websites are saying its very effective on the eggs.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No I did not try it. By the time I spotted them, they were already in my tank, and I had a ton of zoas at the time.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well it may have just gone to worse... I had a large piece of red Monti that wasn't doing so well... I didn't give it much thought until yesterday, then today I looked and sure as Sh!t there's about 20 I can see with my naked eye creeping all over it!! All of my zoas look great though... So I'm not sure I have zoa eating nudis, but I'm positive I've got Monti eating nudis...

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang! that stinks man :(

Have any room in your tank for a predator to help thin them out? I know my yellow coris wrasse eats just about everything that moves if he can fit it in his mouth. Can't say that he's attacked nudis since I haven't (thankfully) spotted them in my tank, but I read around before picking him up and people seemed to have luck with them fighting nudis.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually yeah! I only have 3 fish now: a true perc., a mandarin, and diamond watchman... I've been reading and a yellow coris is one of the fish that can help with these. Are you looking to get rid of him?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;203750 said:
Well it may have just gone to worse... I had a large piece of red Monti that wasn't doing so well... I didn't give it much thought until yesterday, then today I looked and sure as Sh!t there's about 20 I can see with my naked eye creeping all over it!! All of my zoas look great though... So I'm not sure I have zoa eating nudis, but I'm positive I've got Monti eating nudis...
that could explain the color of the one you found. The zoa eating nudi's normally change color to look like the zoa's they've been munching on.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
asneiman;203766 said:
that could explain the color of the one you found. The zoa eating nudi's normally change color to look like the zoa's they've been munching on.
Yeah, and the research I was doing kept showing baby zoa eaters that were dark brown. Melevs reef had monti eater that looked EXACTLY like what I found yesterday...

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea...I did see that pic on melev's reef too and it seemed to match up with the one you posted. I'm beginning to think the pics that I pulled up of zoa eating nudis that looked like yours were just miscategorized monti-eating nudis...there's even a noticeable difference in their structure aside from the color.

Not really looking to get rid of my yellow coris...he's still small enough to keep in my cube and is pretty much the only fish I have that patrols for pests. My lubbocks fairy will eat stuff off the rocks here and there, but is really only of any help if I hold a frag in front of him and let him pick off any pods or benign flatworms.

If you can find one though...it may not eliminate them all together, but it'd probably help keep them in check. The only time my wrasse isn't hovering over rocks and along the sand bed looking for bugs is when I feed the tank or if he's asleep under the sand bed. ;)