What just happened?

View attachment 21912 View attachment 21913 View attachment 21914 View attachment 21915 View attachment 21916 So I've had two scarlet reef hermit crabs for about a week. One is orangish and the other is bright red, they're about the same size. I went over to my tank just to check things out and noticed one appeared to be trying to pull the other from its shell. They eventually both came out and the more red one came completely out of its shell and they wrapped around each other for a few seconds and then they both kind of just went about their business. Anyone know if they were playing, fighting, or just doing the nasty? I'm pretty new to all this, i found it very interesting just wondering if anyone else has witnessed this behavior?

Yeah I have probably 6 or so. Maybe I'll pick up a few extras tomorrow. I would figure they would go after the snails' shells before each other.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep agree sounds like they are fighting over shells, cerith and small-medium turbo shells seem to be preferred, but you should have a quite a few choices for them as they can be a bit picky about they houses.