1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

What Refugium Light to Get?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Equipment' started by SeaMonkey, May 15, 2019 at 12:11 PM.

1. SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

So the time has come to get a new refugium light and wanted to see what everyone else is using or would recommend.

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

3. SeaMonkey

Currently I only have cheato in it. The fuge is part of the 120 gallon sump and takes up roughly 17 in x 22 in x 17" deep. The main tank is 180 gallon. I would like to stay under $100 for the light.

4. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

2-3 of those clip on lights with grow bulbs would do just fine then, and be under $100.

5. SeaMonkey

6. SynDen

Ya either of those would work pretty good I think, and fairly reasonably priced. The puck would be great over a refugium, with a similar output to the bulbs i mentioned but a smaller footprint.
    I could see using 2 of the 200w lights to make an awesome Algae scrubber too

7. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

8. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I’m using one of these. My fuge section is about 14x16” it grows cheato well. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

9. SeaMonkey

The Kessil H380 would be great but just don't want to spend that much on a fuge light. Thanks for the suggestion Dr. I will look into it.

10. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

eBay has some options for a used kessil, they’re running 10% off coupon

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

11. Bdk1786

Bdk1786 Amphipod

12. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

13. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I bought a PAR38 style plant bulb like this one and I must have had it too close to the water/spray and it shorted out. I didn't really examine it too closely when I bought it a month ago, but there wasn't any kind of lens cover over the LED's. So I sent it back and got a refund and bought the one @Dr.DiSilicate recommended. And I'll probably mount it a little higher this time :)

14. SeaMonkey

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  15. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I just installed the panel one that @Dr.DiSilicate recommended and I like it better. Plus it's higher off the water so it shouldn't get any spray and short out!

16. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Mine didn’t work well until I got it about 6” from the water. I also got a ton of water on it and it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

17. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Be thinking about how to direct and contain the light to the fuge area. The more it spills into the other areas the more likely you’ll have algae growing in them too. I used to get a bunch growing on my skimmer.

18. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Hey sorry, I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but how do you embed a link in the post like you did?

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  19. SynDen

links.JPG
    The Link button in the top bar of the reply window

neil82 likes this.
  20. Shaunv

Shaunv Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

For years, I had always used a compact fluorescent bulb in a metal reflector that you can buy at any hardware store. They seemed to work really well for growing Red Dragon, dragons breath, and Dragons tongue. I went through quite a few bulbs and 1 reflector due to the salt water. I now have a Kessil H80 but since I am going to have a much longer refugium, I will need to get 2 lights probably.