1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

WHAT THA!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by Dr.DiSilicate, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Well I cleaned out my sump yesterday. This is actually the second time in several months. The HVAC and plumbing guys that worked on my kitchen were total slobs.

I covered the sump with a tarp but they managed to make a mess. Just after the kitchen renovation I found a PILE or rust from a galvanized chimney that was moved and removed that.

Yesterday I found this chunk of iron pipe from the plumber... [​IMG]

Anyhow. The galvanized stuff nearly crashed the tank but this has been in the sump since last September. Glad I was doing a major clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

2. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

3. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Sounds like any algae problem you could have had will go away

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Algae is gone... gfo took care of that in a couple days... plus new DI resin in the RODI. Not really sure it caused anything bad but definitely wasn’t good. Lol

5. flagg37

flagg37 Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Man, how’d they manage to get it in your sump?

6. Dr.DiSilicate

Not sure... they left a gigantic mess! They needed to break it to update the plumbing. I picked up huge chunks all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. halmus

halmus Cuttle Fish Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

I’m pretty sure those same morons are installing solar at my house right now. I’d guess their level of professionalism would be comparable.

8. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Reminds me of the old Discount Tire commercials, if you don’t like something break it back...Should’ve tossed the chunks back

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  9. flagg37

Any Tesla batteries to go with the solar?

10. halmus

halmus Cuttle Fish Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

No Tesla batts. I’m not convinced those would be cost effective with the few outages I experience. Better for me to invest in a quality generator.

Don’t want to derail the conversation from Mike.

Maybe we need to start a new thread: “Horrifying contractor experiences!” Just nominate your anonymous person/business for outstanding feats of idiocracy. We can all laugh at each other’s pain.

11. flagg37

I am a contractor so I’ve got my own stories about “horrifying customer experiences!”

@Dr.DiSilicate, are you planning on doing any icp testing to see if there’s anything else in there?

12. Dr.DiSilicate

Not planning to test the water. I figure I can do a 100% water change for less money than one of those tests... if I was having weird issues that I couldn’t explain I would definitely try an ICP rest. Since I found a potential issue before it became one... I don’t see a need to at this time.

13. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

That sucker was good at hiding haha. Glad you found it!.... your tank looks amazing and it’s had rusted metal in it for awhile! I need those colors... mind if I borrow that piece of metal? :tearsofjoy:

14. Dr.DiSilicate

Haha, you can have it! I think the colors have more to do with consistency in alkalinity...

15. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Free GFO right? I am amazed at the blame that rust gets in a tank. I had this in my tank once with no issues at all.

[​IMG]

Haddonisreef and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  16. Dr.DiSilicate

No issues here as well. Just kinda freaked me out when I found it...

17. flagg37

What? It could be leaching iron, magnesium, or who knows what else into the tank .... wait a minute, those are already in my tank. :)