whats going on with my tort

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so here is a picture of my oregon tort on the back side is it bleaching STN or what the front side looks amazing the only reason i found this was because i had to move some rock work

And here is a picture of the front side i see everyday

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
interested in this too... could it be a flow thing?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
System? Lights, flow, temp, nitrates, phosphates, salinty.

Even the back side of corals should be alive.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;277001 said:
System? Lights, flow, temp, nitrates, phosphates, salinty.

Even the back side of corals should be alive.

40 breeder it is a chinese 120w box i have two MP10's temp is 78-79 1.025 sality 0 phos 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 amm

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am almost wondering if it was like that when i got it cause in the picture it looks like there is green growing in the bare spots and it would take it a little while for it to grow

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is anything stinging it?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This might not be all of your problems, but it is likely very weak from dealing with tons of excess red, green and yellow light from the white diodes. Outputs closer to 30% are more appropriate for corals from deeper parts of the ocean like most colorful SPS. The SPS spends lots of energy reflecting/deflecting that much wrong spectrum. Those type of non-dimmable, non-channeled LEDs do better with shallower water corals that are used to that much red/green/yellow from the sun that does not get filtered out by the water at deeper depths.

Does the picture show the color very close to accurately? It should be deep, deep, deep blue.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;277062 said:
This might not be all of your problems, but it is likely very weak from dealing with tons of excess red, green and yellow light from the white diodes. Outputs closer to 30% are more appropriate for corals from deeper parts of the ocean like most colorful SPS. The SPS spends lots of energy reflecting/deflecting that much wrong spectrum. Those type of non-dimmable, non-channeled LEDs do better with shallower water corals that are used to that much red/green/yellow from the sun that does not get filtered out by the water at deeper depths.

Does the picture show the color very close to accurately? It should be deep, deep, deep blue.
Yes this is the color it was when i got it i figured it was stressed and would color up the color has acually improved since i got it but do you think it would do better if i moved it down to like the sandbed in partial shade it would help? I mean its polyps extend out were it is now and no nothing is stinging it

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have no idea. Sorry. I don't use LED on my SPS for too many reason that I care to get into to keep this thread on track, but it probably won't hurt to try. You might just be trading one issue for another - less white for less light.

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
im goin gto watch that area and see if it spreads if it does i know it is something wit hmy tank if it doesnt then i know it is something that was there when i got it