Whats on my rocks?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't see anything out of the ordinary... what, specifically, are you trying to identify?

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
mbaeza64;311301 said:
View attachment 19474 and it looks like an egg but explodes or something and goes everywhere! I don't have a clue what it is or if it's bad???
hmmm... not sure. Usually I try to avoid egglike things that send out spores (explode), because they're not usually good. If nobody else chimes in with an ID on this thread, you might want to post up a new one with the best pics you can get of it. Just say you need an ID on it, that it looks like an egg that's exploding or sending out spores. There's a lot of good folks in the club, most of whom are better at identifying those kinds of critters than I am. If it really bothers you, take that rock out of your tank and see if you can remove the egg, then rinse it well to get all the egg bits off the rock and put it back in your tank. It might be harmless, tho.

FinsUp!;311313 said:
hmmm... not sure. Usually I try to avoid egglike things that send out spores (explode), because they're not usually good. If nobody else chimes in with an ID on this thread, you might want to post up a new one with the best pics you can get of it. Just say you need an ID on it, that it looks like an egg that's exploding or sending out spores. There's a lot of good folks in the club, most of whom are better at identifying those kinds of critters than I am. If it really bothers you, take that rock out of your tank and see if you can remove the egg, then rinse it well to get all the egg bits off the rock and put it back in your tank. It might be harmless, tho.
Thank you

Balz3352;311314 said:
Nope natural cycle of a new tank... It should go away on its own. Patients is a key here.... This is the stuff that your bacteria will feed on and will establish your natural flora!
Thank you I'll let it take its course.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
diatom bloom would make sense, given the age of your tank.

(thanks Chad - I think he'll get better answers here than in my mangrove thread)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The brown stuff looks like diatoms...pretty much standard in a new tank. As the tank matures they will start to disappear.

If you can squirt water at the rocks with a turkey baster and stuff blows off, that'd be detritus...but the diatoms won't really go anywhere. If you are getting a lot of detritus on the rocks, then you should try adding more flow to the tank to prevent it from accumulating and causing more problems later.