When Frag Swaps were Frag Swaps...

• Yes! Would love to trade!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I'd rather just buy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
So I was fondly remembering my first frag swap experience, not so very long ago, way back in 2005-2006ish.

Walked into the basement of a church with cooler full of home grown frags to see several tables with hobbyists proudly showing off and swapping corals from their tanks at home.

Awesome deals abounded for buyers, but most of the action was trading.

There was 1 Vendor, a LFS, everybody else was just local folks selling and trading.

Out of every swap I have been to, this one is still my favorite to this day.

It is a very different world today.

After talking to the owners at the store, we came up with the following idea:
We'll bring some dry goods to sell.
We're also planning on bringing a bunch of frags, but we won't be selling them.
All corals will be for trade only.

At least that is the plan if you guys are interested in doing this.
Surprise us. Bring what ever you have and we should have something to trade for it.
Low End, "High End", Big, Little, what ever. Bring it, lets Swap!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was kind of wondering about the upcoming "frag swap". Is it just me or does it seem like the swap involves me swapping my money to vendors for their corals?

I guess I envisioned a swap as more of a barter between hobbyists but I guess I saw it wrong. I don't recall seeing anything in the upcoming meet about hobbyists setting up tanks to swap corals. The only people listed in the swap list are true vendors/lfs. Maybe the swap is opened to hobbyists and no one has spoken up yet?

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;86132 said:
I was kind of wondering about the upcoming "frag swap". Is it just me or does it seem like the swap involves me swapping my money to vendors for their corals?

I guess I envisioned a swap as more of a barter between hobbyists but I guess I saw it wrong. I don't recall seeing anything in the upcoming meet about hobbyists setting up tanks to swap corals. The only people listed in the swap list are true vendors/lfs. Maybe the swap is opened to hobbyists and no one has spoken up yet?
the last event at the highlands ranch high school I setup a "booth" to clear out some space in my tank. i did make a few trades for dry goods so it is possible the only thing the event asked of me was to donate a frag of my choice to the raffle items

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
my bad. This post was made before I posted in the conference thread. Sorry, didnt mean to come off as a jerk, I am really sick today so my head isnt working properly.

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
djkms;86132 said:

Couldn't agree with you more, thus this thread!

Any reefers under 16 years old will get a free frag from us at the D&G table while supplies last.

Anybody that needs to float bags is welcome to use a little of our space, just make sure and clearly label your bags with your name in water proof marker.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet brilliant idea. Any idea what the frag will be for us youngies?

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
We should have several to choose from.

If any of you younger guys or gals that plan on going could PM me here or at to the DGPets account and RSVP, that would help me make sure we bring plenty along.

If there is a type of coral you'd like to see, include that and I'll see what we can do!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
gh0st;86171 said:
Any reefers under 16 years old will get a free frag from us at the D&G table while supplies last.
guess i have to bring the kids ...lol

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
Sure, but they get to pick the frags!

Had originally meant reef keeping kids with tanks, but getting any young uns interested in the hobby can only be a good thing.

The students from Highlands Ranch High School that will be attending this swap are all relative beginners. Xenias, zoanthids, kenya trees, and anything that is easy to grow are their preferences. The more difficult corals only cause disappointment and set-backs.

Thanks a million for offering to bring some corals for these kids to grow! This club's support for the hobby is great!

Mike Ryan
Highlands Ranch High School

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey ghost if you want I have some Xenia and some polyps I can donate to you guys for the kids there that prefer softies

DGPets

Cleaner Shrimp
Awesome! Bring them on down to the swap and we'll find them homes!

And Mike, how many kids from the school do you anticipate being there?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
gh0st;86352 said:
Sure, but they get to pick the frags!

Had originally meant reef keeping kids with tanks, but getting any young uns interested in the hobby can only be a good thing.
just kidding i'll save the frags for lil' reefers

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hate to be the downer here but there are no real frag swaps anymore, only hobbiest driven conventions.