Which led?

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let's pretend for a moment that money isn't an issue (haha I wish). I'm looking for some LEDs that I'll be able to use essentially forever, including if I decide to move to a 30" deep tank in the future. With that in mind and after seeing them at aquatic art, I'm leaning toward the radion pro even though its pricey. I was thinking that I'd go with Vegas, but the reviews so far haven't been too phenomenal. Any opinions?

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Money no object huh. Orpheks probably.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Much better punch for 24"+ deep tanks. They are supposed to have better color blending and rendering as well. Though this is just what I've read.

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I definitely want one that is incorporating a full spectrum, which is why I was leaning toward the Radion. They have uv, red and green, plus I like that they are controlled through your computer. It doesn't seem like the internet likes discussing orpheks as much as radions though...

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep. Besides the Radions and AI's, it's hard to find much info on any other LED.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't forget about kessil, acan, or ghl. My choice if money wasn't an object would be the radions. Second would be Vegas, and third would be the new kessil with reefbrite supplement s.

Sent from my C771

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting, but don't PAR ratings have to be taken in water to determine accurate numbers? Light is scattered much more quickly through water than air.

More than anything, it's the lack of information that bothers me on the Orpheks. I want to see pics of tanks! There were a couple of videos, but the corals all looked sort of brown.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The ones in that link aren't even released yet. I've also read conflicting info on whether you can accurately measure PAR out of the water. Some think that water will actually help increase the PAR just a little. Would love somebody to do a test where they measure out of the water and then in.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can tell you that on my FW setup, the PAR decreased significantly when I increased the depth of water in that tank. I actually ended up needing to upgrade the light fixture since I was getting so much less light at the substrate. Went from 36w of t5no to 62w of t5ho. I did measure the PAR in that tank with the original t5no fixture empty vs "full" (14" of water in a 24" tall tank) and my PAR was cut almost in half. That's not solid evidence though...just my experience with a t5 fixture.

I feel like any increase in PAR with water in the tank vs empty would be negligible (if measurable at all) and likely due to reflections bouncing around through the water column off the glass and surface of the water. PAR values in an empty tank tend to be consistent...but put a sensor under water and the meter tends to jump around due to ripples on the surface of water and light reflecting through the tank.

I wouldn't trust empty tank PAR readings either. It gives you a decent idea of the output, but considering the clarity of water in a SW tank I doubt you'd get those same values in a running system.

Edit: Here's another link to the new orphek light...as well as a video showing the PAR measurement 36" below the light. The tank looks to be about 24" deep and they got a PAR measurement of almost 200. No way that light is putting out that much PAR (~150) in a 7ft deep tank...as they alluded to on that other page. They light does look pretty impressive, but yea I wouldn't trust those previous numbers.

[video=youtube;9D8bR66Je_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9D8bR66Je_0[/video]

http://orphek.com/led/orphek-products/atlantik/

Last edited by a moderator: