2020 Reef Tank Resolutions (DBTC)

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As we wrap up 2019, I was wondering if there are any good reefer resolutions out there? Maybe you swear this is the year you do weekly water changes, or this is the year for SPS. Let's hear what you got and how you plan to get there!

If there are enough responses I will set up a poll and everyone can vote for their favorite resolution, I'll let the poll sit for a week and then declare a winner. First place can have this colony of acans:

View attachment 16053

Happy New Year, bring on 2020!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
We can arrange pickup for you Denver reefers, maybe at the next MASC meeting or Reefstock if we can't make anything else work! Always welcome to pickup in Loveland as well or meet at I-25 and Hwy 34.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine is to stay engaged online - I am OK with where my tanks are. I have been so discouraged lately trying to convince people that nitrate and phosphate are not "food," that spectrum just in the human visible range is not all that other animals need, that control is an illusion and also that you cannot rush a reef tank... among others. Most of this has been on the national level, but it wore me out last year with all of the pushback from the "pros" that have watched a few BRS videos and have a couple of boogers in a 6 week old tank. I can totally see why some of the best reefers just have disappeared and only come online to sell their frags and wares.

I think that I have decided that it is still worth it to try. Most that stay in the hobby come around and "get it" after a while, but the mass of misinformation based on lack of experience is overwhelming. I seriously struggled with this over the last few months...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think that I have decided that it is still worth it to try. Most that stay in the hobby come around and "get it" after a while, but the mass of misinformation based on lack of experience is overwhelming. I seriously struggled with this over the last few months...
You'd be surprised at how many "Dougisms" I use on a daily basis. I have removed Jeabo junk. Your help and advice on MH and CaRx have been an invaluable resource! Just know that if you don't always hear it, you are making an impact...and I for one am grateful for your insights! Happy New Year!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have really enjoyed my "contest tank." IMO, more people should have a resolution to have one this year, or whenever/if MASC does the contest again... I have no idea if anybody is learning anything, but I have relearned a few things that I have seem to have forgotten. I hope that the tanks have helped at least one person.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
TTT, I'll put up the poll to vote for best resolution on Monday Jan. 6! So get those resolutions in for the Acan mini colony that I got in trouble for giving away because I didn't know it was one of the wifes favorites! At least let me tell her it was a wildly successful DBTC with lots of participation from my fellow reefers!!!!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Get nitrates under control and do more water changes. Maintain a consistent maintenance routine.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Get water, and life, in the big tank

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I plan to stop acting like an a$$! I ignored problems, avoided maintenance and took shortcuts all year. I’m doing my regular water changes, testing regularly, not allowing contractors drop 5 lbs of rusty galvanized steel into the sump or causing a fan to fall into the sump while on...

I’ve just got things going well again and I’m back to being a good boy this year. Surprised the reef survived me.

Plus I plan to post a lot more on my build thread, the good and the bad!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app