who can build a simple custom sump ?

anyone local building sumps out of acrylic or glass ? i have contacted 3 different glass and acrylic businesses in town and due to "liability " they wont touch anything that holds water .

how big can you go without actual bracing around the bottom and top ? i want to do a 66 x 18 x 16 tall sump with baffles , been looking all week for something close that will work and no cigar :/

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
highaltitude;n638996 said:
i heard that aquatic does , sent them an email week back and never heard anything

Sorry but I really don't remember the email coming through. I have been swamped as of late so i may have just screwed it up and if so I apologize. We don't build sumps ourselves but one of our crew members does on his own time and his name is Daniel, his number is 870-565-3901. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Cris

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Brace the top over your baffles. If you use a glass tank no additional bracing will be needed. You can use epdm rubber to make adjustable baffles instead of fixed, you just cut the baffles narrow and apply the epdm to the edges. Works great and reef safe. ADHI makes nice stuff and I have two of their tanks but it's $$$$ and I believe the business has been for sale for awhile so I don't know what to expect should I ever have any warranty issues. That aside ADHI is first class and I don't expect to ever have an issue. You might contact Fluid Dynamics as well. I have a few of their frag tanks and they're high quality as well.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also come to think of it LifeReef is here too and his customer service and products are top notch, just don't tell him you have a needle wheel skimmer unless you have a bit of time to spare. I've never heard a bad thing about LifeReef even from people who bought their equipment used and needed service and he's been here for 30 years so that may be of interest to you.

alindell21

Cleaner Shrimp
On the subject of sumps I just bought one. The guy I bought it from has a 3/4" return pipe. I do not know if this will fit on my pump, a sicce syncra 5.0. Does anyone know the sizing for connecting a return pipe to the return pump in the sump?

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
For the return 3/4" is pretty standard and the outlet size for the Sicce pump you have. I'd just get a 3/4" nipple to attach hose to the pump and then attach to a ball valve then the tank. Hard line for drain is ok but you may get noise from vibration hardlining your return line.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plasticare sells acrylic and will assemble it. I would be happy to help you build one as well if you buy me lunch. You can get away with 1/2" acrylic without any bracing at the dimensions you mentioned...