How much space above aquarium?

For starters, my excitement got the best of me. I am purchased a tank to replace my current 125, polished it all up and made it like new. About to build the stand for it and realizing that the space that I will have above the tank will be 12 inches. the tank has a 72x24 footprint and is 36 inches tall. I’m not planning on building a hood for it and the opening are a decent size.

Should I move forward or cut my losses, sell it and find something else? The height is already going to be a pain for aquascaping but with the space between tank and ceiling I’m not sure if it’s going to be manageable.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What type of lights do you plan on running. What type of corals or scape.
Lots of factors to consider. My tank is 36 inch deep and lighting is proving to be difficult.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I made my lighting. It’s LED. My worry is will I be able to function in the tank. Get to things, clean etc with such a little space at the top. My plan was to hang the lights on a track that would move them out of that.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would suggest a good set of grabbers. Could you build a new stand to reduce how tall tank sits.

I’m building the stand so can make it any height but any lower and all filtration would have to be housed separately. So that’s doable but floor space is already tight.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run metal halide. Problem is the penetration to the bottom. I like sps from sand to top.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
12 inch clearance to access the tank from above sounds pretty tight to me. Might work, but could be tricky.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stand will be 35 inches tall. Ceiling height I think is 85 or 86
Man, that is short. That’s got to be a basement. Are the ceilings finished? You can get a little more space if you run the drywall around the joists kind of like a coffered ceiling. That is going to be a lot of work for only a little more room and it will look awkward if not done thoughtfully.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
You said you are building the stand. In that case of just make the stand shorter. Maybe make it 28-30 inches tall and give yourself a bit more room

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

My skimmer height is 25”. Plus the size of a 2x4 and plywood puts me at a height of 29”. Will need another 2” minimum to get the skimmer head off the body so now I’m at 31”. I’m thinking I’m going to try and lower the stand to 24 and build the sump outside of the stand. If I can’t make that work I’ll have to scrap this tank and look for a different one.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could you place the skimmer in between the 2x4 slats. Or do you have a separate utility room close that you could turn into a fish room. I personally love that my sump is not under the tank.

I thought about getting it between 2x4s but there just isn’t enough room. I would love to have a separate room but I don’t think that would fly....

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you just do it it's hard to go back lol. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Brahaha

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Is there room to build the stand wider than the tank? A few feet on either side to make it look like a piece of furniture? You could get a little extra head space for the skimmer and possibly access from top down with some flip up lids?

Is there room to build the stand wider than the tank? A few feet on either side to make it look like a piece of furniture? You could get a little extra head space for the skimmer and possibly access from top down with some flip up lids?
You’re brilliant! I have been running all sorts of scenerios/designs in my head and never thought of doing that! Back to the drawing board! Not sure if I have the room but will defiantly try to make that work.